News:

Main Menu

Preps 7

Started by jmaciag, November 19, 2015, 01:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

How/Can you rename a signature in Preps 7?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Right Click the sig:

[attachimg=1]
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

actually, i figured it out seconds after i posted. Under Press Runs List, click on the signature name and it allows you to change it there too.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

...so how do you handle it when you have a form with multiple lots, some which require an independent page, and it creates additional sections and screws up your form numbering on the job identifier?

I found doing multiple impositions and merging the sections works, but the powers that be don't like that solution.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

David

are you trying to get a specific name to appear in the job identifier?
We usually use the "signature naming", put whatever you want there, and then use a text string to put that into the identifier.

like this one here:

$[Compound_%jobname%_$SigName_Side_$Side]
where you see "$SigName" is what will appear in the identifier from what you have in the signature name field.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

I have to admit I wasn't sure what you were talking about either.

DigiCorn

Quote from: david on January 04, 2016, 05:53:08 PMare you trying to get a specific name to appear in the job identifier?
We usually use the "signature naming", put whatever you want there, and then use a text string to put that into the identifier.

like this one here:

$[Compound_%jobname%_$SigName_Side_$Side]
where you see "$SigName" is what will appear in the identifier from what you have in the signature name field.
it's the $SigName that's screwed up
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

David

how do you have the text string formatted?
from looking at your screen capture you don't appear to be using that part of the code
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

$jobid     Form-$sig  Side-$side     $date     $time     $[color]

Since I have never really worked with others before, maybe I don't know the proper terms/vernacular. To me, each part in an imposition is a signature, but here they have multiple signatures on a single Form (they call each part of an imposition a Form). If you have multiple "sections" from Preps on a Form, then the Form number gets messed up.

However, if you open arrow click on part of your imposition, you can turn it into an independent page without adding a new section (or creating a dual imposition and merging the sections), so that solves the issue.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Over here a sig is a whole imposed sheet normally. I have a feeling if I did a 16pg laid out as parallel 8's bindery would call that 2 sigs but for me it's just a 16 with a different fold pattern.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

In Preps you can do a multi sig imposition where there are actually two separate sigs coming of the press. We run a lot of them on the web presses where we run two separate 16, 24, or 32 on the same press run. You can assign any pages in the imposition to each sig. Or you can assign the same pages to both sigs if you want and run the job 2 up. You can also have the text identifier for both sigs so the press knows which sigs are on the run. And Collation Marks know what sig each should be in the press run.

Farabomb

When I was typing it did make sense to have 2 sigs on a sheet. I do it with my parallel 8 on a 16 pg form. It breaks down to 2 sigs in bindery.

Now if you asked the boss what a 16pg sheet that's being folded as 8's is, 4 times 2 times it would be one sig, 2 times it would be 2 sigs.

We may not do it right here but we get it done.

I just spent 4 hours tracking down a issue where my proofs were right and the press sheet was right. Turns out the guy packing the box is a moron. I will admit it was a little confusing but you have a print out with the fronts and backs and qty. At least he didn't try and weasel his way out of it as in the norm for him.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on January 06, 2016, 08:31:43 AMIn Preps you can do a multi sig imposition where there are actually two separate sigs coming of the press. We run a lot of them on the web presses where we run two separate 16, 24, or 32 on the same press run. You can assign any pages in the imposition to each sig. Or you can assign the same pages to both sigs if you want and run the job 2 up. You can also have the text identifier for both sigs so the press knows which sigs are on the run. And Collation Marks know what sig each should be in the press run.
How do you do that? It comes up here on the 130 sometimes.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

[attachimg=1 width=200 align=left] This is a sample saddlestitch with a 32 page imposition as two separate 16 page sections. To make multiple sections you enter number of sections as circled in the image. Then ion the left you will see the sections.

[attachimg=2 width=200 align=left] [attachimg=3 width=200 align=right] If you click on the section name on the left it will highlight the pages that belong to that section.

When you number the pages you would number each signature 1 - 16. After that though, looking at the large numbers in the impo, it looks like it is an ordinary 32 page sig but on multi-section impos look at the small numbers and not the large ones. The small numbers for each section are numbered 1-16. When you go to number it with the numbering tool you select which section to number as shown below.

[attachimg=4 width=200]    [attachimg=5 width=200]