Beware of X-rite Closed Loop Option, they will leave you stranded...

Started by Aaron, January 04, 2017, 04:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

I just want to share a story with you all because if blows my mind that a company in this industry doesn't care to lose a customer...

2 months ago after receiving the scanner head back from X-rite after re-certification I asked their support team to dial into the machine to check some settings. At this point the X-rite software and the feedback program that send the data back to the press were both working fine. He was just checking on the settings in the X-rite program. 

While dialed in he noticed we are on an older version of Intellitrax so he uninstalled the version that was on there and went to install a newer version. The newer version wouldn't install correctly so he went to re-install the older version again and the older, original version, wouldn't load back on. So now the computer that runs the scanner software AND the feedback integration to the press is a boat anchor. Naturally one would think the person that broken it should fix it, right? WRONG...

So at this point I have no scanner software and therefore no closed loop, spending more to run jobs and X-rite doesn't care. During the next 3 weeks and many emails back and forth with X-rite they tell me they are not responsible for used presses and any software connect to it. WHAT??? They broke it!! So now I have to come out of my pocket to have my press dealer send a technician to troubleshoot a problem that X-rite caused. Incredible.

So I just wanted to warn anyone out there that if you are looking at a X-rite closed loop system be warned. They don't stand behind their work. They don't care about you. It's just another one of these large corporations that don't care about the one person.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Tracy

sheesh I would post this every where I could, word gets around!

Aaron

Oh I am. On 4 so far. If they make it right I will let you know.

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Joe

Quote from: Aaron on January 04, 2017, 05:05:16 PMOh I am. On 4 so far. If they make it right I will let you know.

Don't hold your breath until they do or you will turn blue. Then purple. Then die. Then they'll say they tried to contact you to make it right but you wouldn't answer their calls. Because you DIED! :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Interesting. When we upgrade to processless thermal plates there'll be no more 'trained eye' duct settings..it'll all be via the file software to set the ducts. I know f/all about it, but I *think* the data will come out of Black Magic.
A genuine question; I gather this is a different way of achieving the settings, but are you scanning the proofs to get there?

All edumacational for me.

Oh, and how many times have you heard similar stories? Another reason why, in the absence of the management will to drag us forward, we are on the same version of XMF, and 10.6.8 at the client end. I don't want to touch a thing.
I may actually be dead by the time they upgrade.  No, am not joking. Am in that age bracket.... (gawd, I'm a ball o' fun today, aren't I?   :grin:  )
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Aaron

Quote from: frailer on January 04, 2017, 10:18:08 PMInteresting. When we upgrade to processless thermal plates there'll be no more 'trained eye' duct settings..it'll all be via the file software to set the ducts. I know f/all about it, but I *think* the data will come out of Black Magic.
A genuine question; I gather this is a different way of achieving the settings, but are you scanning the proofs to get there?

Oh, and how many times have you heard similar stories? Another reason why, in the absence of the management will to drag us forward, we are on the same version of XMF, and 10.6.8 at the client end. I don't want to touch a thing.
I may actually be dead by the time they upgrade.  No, am not joking. Am in that age bracket.... (gawd, I'm a ball o' fun today, aren't I?   :grin:  )

Not sure what you mean by scanning the proof. We have to scan the press sheet to ensure the color is correct. The proofs aren't used for this.

andyfest

Quote from: frailer on January 04, 2017, 10:18:08 PMInteresting. When we upgrade to processless thermal plates there'll be no more 'trained eye' duct settings..it'll all be via the file software to set the ducts. I know f/all about it, but I *think* the data will come out of Black Magic.

I may actually be dead by the time they upgrade.  No, am not joking. Am in that age bracket....
(gawd, I'm a ball o' fun today, aren't I?  :grin:  )
I feel your pain Frailer, although I am stuck at 10.8.5 & Nexus 10.1.3 (no updates since Feb 2014). I have 6 1/2 years left at most and at our meeting yesterday, the plant manager told me that there are no plans for any capital investment at prepress or in our production location unless 
a.) some of our major clients update past CC2014
b.) something major breaks
I told him that it sounded like the corporate position was more reactionary than proactive, and that it didn't bode well for our plant's future. I imagine I'll be retired or laid off before there is any move to upgrade.  
:old:
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro