Small Run Jobs

Started by Foozball, September 10, 2015, 11:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foozball

I have a few small run jobs coming in 5 different jobs, , all 4C coated, 1 side, 500-2000 pieces, 14pt board, all on 8.5x11.
Best pricing I can find has been 4over (Category: Sell Sheets), their stuff best represents "get what you pay for" so far.

TWO questions:
1 - Anyone else use 4Over for non critical jobs? If so, does your company get a discount with them - meaning should I contact their sales "people" and try to get it cheaper than the prices they have listed?
2 - Any other suggestions on who/where I could look for better pricing?

Any thoughts/feedback welcome.

Possum

We use them for quite a bit of stuff. I don't know if we get a discount, but we use them because it's often cheaper than running the stuff in-house. We don't do enough digital jobs to have a reasonable click charge.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

Since 4over is cutting everyone else's balls off on price I don't think you'll get better pricing but I can be wrong. They sell jobs lower than we can get the paper for.

I have people coming in saying how 4over did such a shit job and yadda yadda, they will never use them again. They look at our samples, love the work and gulp when they get the price. Then they call vista print. Quality costs.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

zacgil

We've used 4Over for a few jobs here.   The only extra discounts we've received are from their email blasts.  These are specific discounts given for only business cards, posters, etc.  We don't have a company discount or anything like that.  The quality we've received has been acceptable.  I've used GotPrint a few times personally and have had bad experiences with color and consistency.  
I am a punky, sophisticated lesbian (or something similar).

Ear

We used them one time, for a short run of large format posters. It was a disaster. They sent a digital proof, we approved it and when we received the final product, the color had shifted horribly. I investigated the file, by the CMYK numeric values and the product we received looked nothing like it. It had no icc tag and was totally sound, from a technical standpoint. I proved to them that their color was WAY off and they did not stand behind it. Job bounced and I was left with a mess on my hands. Never again.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

There is Zoo Printing over here on the West Coast, Their printing is usually pretty good
and they have reprinted stuff we were unhappy with.
Don't know anything about the money tho.
They too print cheaper than we can get paper. [sigh]

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Farabomb

I see he's running on a Xerox.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

wonderings

Quote from: born2print on September 10, 2015, 01:38:00 PMSmall Jobs running

That was just after he stole the idea of the mouse and other things fancy computer things from Xerox.

Slappy

Funny, a guy I've known for years runs a tiny shop and has been sending work to 4Over and raves about them. Luck of the draw, and what you're willing to consider passable I s'pose.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Foozball

Quote from: Slappy on September 10, 2015, 06:15:02 PMFunny, a guy I've known for years runs a tiny shop and has been sending work to 4Over and raves about them. Luck of the draw, and what you're willing to consider passable I s'pose.
I've sent a couple of previous jobs to them and thought they did a decent job - not spectacular! Only thing I am insane about (with this project) is registration, I put in check marks in the bleed and so far they have been 100% accurate. ;)