That's Not Graphic Designing?!

Started by Syphon, July 16, 2017, 09:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

So I got the heads up that the kid management hired nearly three years ago has turned in his resignation. No surprise since he has been banging heads with boss.

So it's that time to find some dumb college kid who is or just graduated from college in graphic design. Like before, management is going to advertise for a "prepress person" in which then people show up asking for more $$$ than what they want to pay. So then they change the ad to hire a "graphic designer" knowing that so local college kid will take the bait, once in the door, they throw them in front of the digital press. When the college kid says "Hey, this isn't graphic designing?!" Management replies, "Yes it is! And don't question us because we're professionals and we know this is graphic designing."

Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

StudioMonkey

So the new kid either sinks or swims and during his/her learning curve everything goes to shit or at best takes a lot longer.  If they survive they are doing a prepress job for very little money which is how the boss wants it to turn out, and BTW if they can do the same job you are doing why am I paying you so much ?
If they don't survive the boss will try the same dodge again rinse / repeat.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Possum

Also, the college kids think graphic design is creating great masterpieces of their own choosing. They don't realize much of real world jobs entail grunt work and designing things that satisfy the customer's questionable taste.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

David

make my logo bigger...  that's what they need to teach in Design Skool

:hangme:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

AaronH

Quote from: david on July 17, 2017, 09:52:26 AMmake my logo bigger...  that's what they need to teach in Design Skool

And bump it two clicks to the right...  :banghead:
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Farabomb

I don't know about you but my customers designs are amazing. They're even won awards. Like the Ray Charles Foundation best design by a blind person. The Font Conservatory's use every font in your entire library award and Pantone's design a piece with 200+ spot colors but don't inform the salesman what one they want in a 5c job award.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

8) Ray Charles Foundation :laugh:

swampymarsh

Well the new kid could make the brochure "more branded":
http://www.27bslash6.com/brochure.html

Or perhaps they could knock up a missing cat poster:
http://www.27bslash6.com/missy.html

Maybe some business cards?
http://www.27bslash6.com/bob.html

How about some logo design and or charts:
http://www.27bslash6.com/p2p2.html

Farabomb

That guy is pretty funny while still having the dickhead designer vibe.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Syphon, that is a profound post. It's a tragic sign of the times. 

The owner of my company doesn't know the difference between graphic design and prepress. 

Big fat fucking NO! Prepress is NOT graphic design. I'm a half-ass designer but I pwn prepress. I know exactly ZERO designers who can get a PDF to a platesetter and to an offset press. Prepress is more IT and practical engineering than creative/artistic. It is taking the art and engineering it to reproduce properly on the big fast rubber stamp. I have had better luck teaching IT and design to machine operators, because without understanding of the machines, you will have a shitty time of prepress.

Inexpensive, cloud-based design software will be the death of printing, not the intertubez. Because now, everyone with $30 a month for a Photoshop subscription is an expert/professional. And management believes them. Stick a "designer" in prepress and it will be the death of your printshop.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

Quote from: Ear on July 19, 2017, 05:24:33 PMStick a "designer" in prepress and it will be the death of your printshop.

you won't get too much "prepress" out of them that's for sure. They spend their time surfing the net looking for the next hot trend in "social" networking to work into their next masterpiece.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

andyfest

Quote from: Ear on July 19, 2017, 05:24:33 PMSyphon, that is a profound post. It's a tragic sign of the times.

The owner of my company doesn't know the difference between graphic design and prepress.

Big fat fucking NO! Prepress is NOT graphic design. I'm a half-ass designer but I pwn prepress. I know exactly ZERO designers who can get a PDF to a platesetter and to an offset press. Prepress is more IT and practical engineering than creative/artistic. It is taking the art and engineering it to reproduce properly on the big fast rubber stamp. I have had better luck teaching IT and design to machine operators, because without understanding of the machines, you will have a shitty time of prepress.

Inexpensive, cloud-based design software will be the death of printing, not the intertubez. Because now, everyone with $30 a month for a Photoshop subscription is an expert/professional. And management believes them. Stick a "designer" in prepress and it will be the death of your printshop.
I printed this out and hung it up beside DCS's explanation of the evolution of the CSR. Good pieces - both of them. :thumbsup:
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Ear on July 19, 2017, 05:24:33 PMSyphon, that is a profound post. It's a tragic sign of the times.

Big fat fucking NO! Prepress is NOT graphic design. I'm a half-ass designer but I pwn prepress. I know exactly ZERO designers who can get a PDF to a platesetter and to an offset press. Prepress is more IT and practical engineering than creative/artistic. It is taking the art and engineering it to reproduce properly on the big fast rubber stamp. I have had better luck teaching IT and design to machine operators, because without understanding of the machines, you will have a shitty time of prepress.

Absolutely right. I am a designer as well as PrePress but I started out as a printer - hot metal then litho.  I know what leading means because I used actual pieces of lead to space out lines of text.  When I had trouble with impositions for 16 up folding I asked the boss to put me on the folding machine for a month.  I've done a bit of everything which is why I'm good at my job.  There is no better way to learn.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Farabomb

Having an understanding of all the processes is invaluable. It helps you catch issues upstream before they become actual production issues after it's printed.

Just don't think that because you helped run something for a bit makes you a master. Our bindery guy may be dumb as hell about a whole bunch of things but he can run those machines better than anybody here.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

We've always said, make all the PrePress do bindery for a bit. Then they'll know how to strip (impose).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway