"Name too long"

Started by aprilmarie, October 02, 2007, 01:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beermonster

welcome kalessin - this is deffo THE place to be now!!

we use macserverIP - yeah sorry am late as well - and we have very few naming issues/long name issues at all

http://www.cyansoftware.com/MacServerIP.htm
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

born2print

Quote from: Kalessin on November 09, 2007, 04:26:56 AMWe found this problem with Prinergy because it runs on the antiquated Windows Server 2000. Connecting to shared volumes using smb rather than Apple's default afp fixed it. Sorry if I'm too late...

... and, hi everyone! Just found this site from the old PPF site, I assumed everyone had gone to PrintPlanet. I didn't go there, too many officious types sucking the life out of the room. Glad to see you all found a comfy home!
Welcome, you've got great detective skills! Spread the good word, and thanks for the info as well
ps: thanks beer
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

beermonster

hi - sorry - am very late with this one

we had same issues with smb - everything was getting fried and wasted

we now use macserver IP and its fine - although i'm not sure of the costings, but it totall solved all my issues

take a peek here

http://www.cyansoftware.com/MacServerIP.htm

Zimmy3

I have an app called Windows Renamer.app for OS10 if you want to try it :)pm me
Because it feels good !

beermonster

pmpl@me!

aww sheeyat i've posted the same thing twice haaa :-[

i guess "old timers" disease has set in - or this stinking cold I have AGAIN is making me forget stuff

Sparky

Quote from: Kalessin on November 09, 2007, 04:26:56 AMWe found this problem with Prinergy because it runs on the antiquated Windows Server 2000. Connecting to shared volumes using smb rather than Apple's default afp fixed it. Sorry if I'm too late...

... and, hi everyone! Just found this site from the old PPF site, I assumed everyone had gone to PrintPlanet. I didn't go there, too many officious types sucking the life out of the room. Glad to see you all found a comfy home!

Nice fix, thanks, and welcome to B4Print, nice to see the sanity is still among us. or not  ::)
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

beermonster

i'm not liking the way you're looking up at me there sparky....

Sparky

Quote from: Joe on October 03, 2007, 11:41:29 AM
Quote from: kermit on October 03, 2007, 11:14:13 AMI think PCMAcLan that I have installed on my Rampage box also allows you to do that.

Do they still even make that? I was looking to use it with Vista and they did not support anything after WIN 98 if I remember correctly.

We had (at the time) the latest version of PcMacLan installed on the DELL using XP professional, cause at the time my G3 was still using OS 9.2.2 with Apple Talk to the RIP on our Platesetter. After we installed OS 10.x no need for it anymore ::)

Sparky

Quote from: beermonster on December 11, 2007, 07:12:23 AMi'm not liking the way you're looking up at me there sparky....
??? ??? ???

explain, did I step out of line here?

Joe

Quote from: Sparky on December 12, 2007, 06:38:11 PM
Quote from: beermonster on December 11, 2007, 07:12:23 AMi'm not liking the way you're looking up at me there sparky....
??? ??? ???

explain, did I step out of line here?

I think he's joking about your avatar looking at his avatar.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Sparky

got it, it's all good, and feline ;D

I've been working on an all jaguar .gif avatar but as I have read elsewhere I'll have to be careful as to how to link to it.

I've been an admirer of black leopards since I was a kid 8) 8)

beermonster

hi guys

nice to see the sanity is still among us. or not 

haaa no it was the little emoticon looking up - just after saying "or not"

i was just kidding - its a uk humour thing - ignore me :-[

Joe

Welcome back beermonster! We've missed your warped sense of humor!

doubting_thomas

Is there a solution for this when connecting via SMB to a Windows 2000 box which
isn't the Server Addition? I can use some of the files I pull from it to my Mac, but some
(primarily fonts) corrupt. We use PC MacLAN now, but I'd love to get away from AFP.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Joe

Nothing cheap that I know of.

ExtremeZ-IP

There are others also but in about the same price range.

QuoteExtremeZ-IP File Server allows you to:

• Enjoy the latest Mac OS X improvements including long file names, large files on the server, Bonjour, Kerberos and Tiger Compatibility
  • Banish annoying SFM bugs
  • Eliminate AppleTalk for browsing, file sharing and printing
  • Simplify network administrators jobs since ExtremeZ-IP requires no client software to install and maintain on every desktop machine
  • Eliminate the delay of indexing at startup
  • Exploit the latest Windows clustering technologies improving uptime and simplifying maintenance
  • Share an unlimited number of files instead of the 65K limit with Windows NT
  • Ensure compatibility with Windows 2003 , as ExtremeZ-IP is the only AppleShareIP file server being enhanced for Windows 2003
  • Guarantee complete interoperability with Services for Macintosh
  • Preserve complete interoperability between Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X users

Pricing