News:

Main Menu

Individual Page Proofs

Started by Slappy, April 11, 2018, 08:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

I honestly haven't dug too deep on this yet, but does anybody regularly/easily send individual pages to their proofer, instead of whole impositions? I've discovered that somebody in our pressroom is hacking down full Epsons for the press ops, and since they're fine with it, I'm looking to save on media if that's the case.

I thought during training I asked about doing page proofs and was told that it wasn't a simple process. I know XMF doesn't have the nifty "Arrange" function or whatever it's called that Prinergy/Signastion does to maximize the paper roll, but I should at least be able to send 1up pages to the proofer, right?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Farabomb

I don't know about XMF but there is a option in prinergy for single page proofs. I just dump the refined single page PDF into the scatter proof template I made and it just dumps the pages onto the sheet as best they can fit.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

I do it, I save the larger pieces I cut down from proofs and use the sheet setting on the proofer.
I think it will depend on your proofer.
XMF will always send a 1-up to save paper so an 8.5x11 will print on the 11" first.
so you would save paper even if you don't use sheets.

so all you have to do to send that 1 page is drag a proofing icon to the press icon not the plate icon
and turn off pages you don't want.
not sure if the layout of 1 page was the question.
If you need screen shots let me know.

Slappy

Quote from: Tracy on April 12, 2018, 08:57:26 AMso all you have to do to send that 1 page is drag a proofing icon to the press icon not the plate icon
Ahhhh, so that kind of works. The only way I can assign pages though, is to check the "Use Imposition From" box and then it applies the full impo, and I have to set the Template underneath that check box to None so the pages are loose. Is that the process you go through too?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

I have attached a screen shot how I do it, Where is the Imposition from you are checking?, not sure what that is.

I have a template for my 1-page and 2 page proofs and if I need to I create a template real quick if I need something different.
So I have only page 1 activated for an epson proof and I have my 1 page proof template, you don't even need a template
but I have one because It's something I do quite often, you know when you replace a page and want to proof that one only.

I see the Imposition from in my screen shot  :laugh:
that is where you can select the imposition from the plate or not, that would not be the way to do it.

nordeuk@hotmail.com

we run book proofs, or double sided for fliers etc.   

Screenshots are hopefully self explanatory

Diddler

Quote from: Slappy on April 17, 2018, 07:17:37 AM
Quote from: Tracy on April 12, 2018, 08:57:26 AMso all you have to do to send that 1 page is drag a proofing icon to the press icon not the plate icon
Ahhhh, so that kind of works. The only way I can assign pages though, is to check the "Use Imposition From" box and then it applies the full impo, and I have to set the Template underneath that check box to None so the pages are loose. Is that the process you go through too?

Hi Slappy,
You will need to create a new template first. Say have one for A4 (or set it to resize automatically) 4 across the width of the sheet) for example.
Uncheck "Use Impo from"
Then select your "new template" where it ironically indicates template.

If that works for you, go back into the job and right click on the PDF icon and "Save settings & Name it". Then every other time you need a proof just right click the PDF and go to what you named it.
I have them set up for full sheets size, with and without ruled up margins. If outputting a PDF for digital you have to remember you can't select Perfecting as a work style, it has to be sheet work.

Let me know if you need more help and Ill send screenshots.

Cheers
Diddler
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Slappy

Thanks guys! (And gal. :P)

I'll post my own screens & explanation when (if) I get a few free minutes, as it's a little different than either of yours. Floodgates have opened, just treading to keep head above water lately.