News:

Main Menu

Indy CS3 bug?

Started by kermit, September 14, 2007, 06:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermit

Can anyone confirm that I see what I see?

In Indesign CS3, make a new doc, make a new swatch PMS whatever. As you will see you have a perfect spot color indicated by bullet icon in swatch library. Now double click on this color and you will see Pantone solid color in color mode. close dialog box. Next, open Ink Manager (little tiny arrow pointing down in the palette) and either click on spot color bullet icon of the pms color you made or click on the bottom "convert all spot colors to process". What do you have? PMS color converted to cmyk right?

Click OK and take a look at swatches palette. What kind of icon indicator do you see? Spot? or CMYK?
As far as I know, I would think I have spot color there... judging by the spot color logo.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

Slappy

Yep, same thing here. If you make a box with that PMS-to-Process color, it WILL show as CMYK in the Seps preview. Kooky man.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Brian Cupp

This is how all versions of InDesign work and is the intended way for this to work.

I personally like the way it works and would hate to see the spot color changed to process permanently.

kermit

Quote from: pcmodem on September 20, 2007, 05:41:24 AMThis is how all versions of InDesign work and is the intended way for this to work.

I personally like the way it works and would hate to see the spot color changed to process permanently.
I consider this a bug. How should we know if the color is spot or cmyk with just quick look in the palette?
More clicking means more time and time is money. Not even mention possibility of errors...
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

doubting_thomas

Maybe I'm missing something, or it's that I leave my Separations Preview pallet window open all the time.
I don't see this as a problem at all. It lets me change back and forth on the fly, depending what needs to
be done. You should be able to figure out which way the application is going to output it by looking
at the Output tab in your Print Dialog box anyway. But then again, maybe I'm missing something.

jimking

Quote from: doubting_thomas on September 20, 2007, 09:39:48 AMMaybe I'm missing something, or it's that I leave my Separations Preview pallet window open all the time.
I don't see this as a problem at all. It lets me change back and forth on the fly, depending what needs to
be done. You should be able to figure out which way the application is going to output it by looking
at the Output tab in your Print Dialog box anyway. But then again, maybe I'm missing something.

Agreed. You can double click the swatch or open your seperations pallet. No fuss no muss.

WharfRat

I can not imagine working on an InDy file with out Seps Preview open.

MSD

kermit

Quote from: WharfRat on September 25, 2007, 07:23:23 PMI can not imagine working on an InDy file with out Seps Preview open.

MSD
Yes, but sometimes I use just laptop without my external 20" LCD monitor and don't have room for all fancy palettes

doubting_thomas

Quote from: kermit on September 27, 2007, 09:57:02 AM
Quote from: WharfRat on September 25, 2007, 07:23:23 PMI can not imagine working on an InDy file with out Seps Preview open.

MSD
Yes, but sometimes I use just laptop without my external 20" LCD monitor and don't have room for all fancy palettes

Sounds like a bug with your laptop then  ;D

Sparky

Quote from: kermit on September 20, 2007, 06:11:50 AM
Quote from: pcmodem on September 20, 2007, 05:41:24 AMThis is how all versions of InDesign work and is the intended way for this to work.

I consider this a bug. How should we know if the color is spot or cmyk with just quick look in the palette?
More clicking means more time and time is money. Not even mention possibility of errors...

Kermit, cool your jets. This is not a bug! What it is, is a way to indicate to you that this is a spot color that will always print in CMYK. so when you create a document and convert this color in this way, where ever you use the color swatch and even tint percentages of it, your document will only produce 4 plates. if you leave it as a spot color it will produce a fifth plate. I know that when you change it in Ink manager it doesn't change any in the color swatches. I agree that this needs to be addressed but knowing how your settings are in Ink manager, may be the key. A quick check will indicate what colors are set to print in CMYK and what colors are going to produce extra plates and print as spot colors. Make it a part of pre-flighting, now I'm aware of this, I do it on all documents I prep for print.

Maybe Adobe will se this (one of several I'm sure) little insignificant items that need to be tweaked.

Have you reported this to Adobe yet? That would be a start.
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"