Oris RFP questions...

Started by AaronH, April 10, 2017, 05:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

So since our older large format proofers have died and I have no idea when management plans to replace them, we are stuck with our 9900 for now. Our Fuji tech only setup our 9900 to run with one paper. Oddly it was setup to run on ORIS Pearl paper, even though we've been running Epson Semi Matte 260 GSM paper.

So now I'm trying to get a new RFP setup to work on the paper our older proofer plate maker guy keeps ordering... HP Coated 90gsm 24lb paper. It has a kind of matte finish so I dig through the paper selection dropdown. Nothing close so I choose Enhanced Matte, print the correct linearization form and scan away. I'm getting a density of C 0.93, M 0.66, Y 1.08 and K 1.26.

The next step in the manual says to reduce my values by 0.15 to 0.20 more than the actual press we are trying to simulate. My pressmen like to run 1.00 for both cyan and magenta, then 0.95 for yellow and 1.15 for black. How in the heck do I "reduce" my yet lower numbers to be more than 1? This manual makes no sense.

I tried setting them in manually but get an error that my numbers are higher than measured and will produce strange results. What do I do?  :banghead:
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

AaronH

Little update... I tried setting one up just using measurements and not adjusting them at all for the linearization. Went through the process just fine. Only issue with the RFP now is that I am way out of gamut for the uncoated gamut.

So now my question is, how do you guys proof for uncoated paper? My Fuji color guy suggested either doing the RFP process or calibrating on my coated stock, pointing all calibrations on my uncoated simulation then pulling a cutback on ink. Is that what you guys do?

Thanks everyone!

Farabomb

We slap in some uncoated stock and tell the customer it's not color accurate. It's actually pretty close using the coated profile. 
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

AaronH

Well, I finally got the RFP working for the correct coated stock we're using. I then mapped my "uncoated" simulation to use the same calibration, then apply a 5% linear cutback across all inks. It doesn't look too bad actually. We'll see what the salesmen and pressmen say though...

swampymarsh

Aaron, this is a two step process:

Step 1: Create the Reference Printer Profile/RFP (linearisation, ink limiting, characterisation, recalibration etc)

Step 2: Create a Colour Match, where the larger RFP gamut is reduced/matched to target gamut such as ISO Uncoated/Fogra47 using iterative colour matching

AaronH

Alright so I've tried this over the last couple days. I created an RFP for the paper, our Fuji guy got us a sample 44" roll of Epson Presentation Matte Paper (172gsm). I then calibrated it and got it down to an ødE of 0.72 and a max dE of 5.0 something. with a standard deviation of 0.54 dE.

I don't have a GRACoL Uncoated ICC profile, so I download the 2013 uncoated profile from Idealiance. Load it up as the ICC profile in ORIS and hit next on the color match screen and boom, program crashes. Every time. I tried it for an hour, then updated windows & java incase those were causing the issue. Nothing fixed it. Decided to just try the GRACoL 2006 Coated ICC Profile our ORIS came with and works just fine.  :huh:

With the GRACoL 2006 Coated ICC profile loaded, I ran it, but now my paper is being printed yellow (not blank/white) and I'm getting a max dE of 20.5 for two iterations in a row. My ØdE is a bit above 2.0 but I can't seem to get my max down and I can't figure out why my paper is being printed yellow. This is very confusing and I wish someone had done a better job of writing the manual or translating it from German.

swampymarsh

This is what local dealers/support are for, they get to have most of the fun dealing direct with the OEM  :drunk3:

I am guessing that when you created the colour match that you had paper white simulation on, it can be zeroed out if the proofing stock is acceptable untinted. The profile that you are matching is probably quite different in whitepoint than the actual paper (if not by the eye, then to the spectrophotometer that measured the original profile and the one that is measuring the colour match).

AaronH

Interesting. Thanks for your help. Now I have a bit more of a direction to head in.

swampymarsh

Here is a screenshot of what I was talking about with editing the paper white setting of the colour match: