News:

Main Menu

java and 3D Export

Started by frailer, May 13, 2018, 10:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

We used to be able to Export these before the move to current XMF and new iMacs. I've followed the prompts to download (see screenshot for no-can-Export), and have, I assume, downloaded JRE.

Have done a restart, but it's still not Exporting. I've emailed Fujifilm Graphics software guy, but thought I'd drop this here
in case someone has some thoughts overnight.

Thanks....   :hello:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Diddler

Hey Frailer,
It is to do with the Mac OS your running. You will never get it to work unless you go back to 10.6 ish.
PC world is not effected I believe. Could you make the 3D direct from your sever.

I feel your pain also.  :cane:

You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Joe

Java is a pain to get to work anywhere these days and the latest versions of Mac OS are worse than any. Not sure if this is a Java app that runs in web browser or a stand alone java app like a .jar file but if it runs in the web browser...

First you need to go into your System Preferences and click the Java icon which launches the Java Control Panel. In there click the 'Security' tab. At the bottom click the 'Edit Site List'. There you will need to put the JAVA URL seen in the web browser when you try to run that.

Once you get that URL in the site list and save try it again with Safari. The latest versions of Chrome or Firefox does not allow Java application run using them. And by default Safari has them blocked as well.. To let them run in Safari you have to go into Safari preferences and click on the 'Website' icon. In the left column scroll down to and click on the Java plug-in and enable it. The website app you are trying to access should be shown in the right column. You can select that website to be off or on. Change it to on. The java app should now be available to run in Safari although it may help to clear the cache and quit Safari and then re-launch it before you can get it to work.

If it is a .jar file you have set the default application for it to be 'Java Web Start'. You can google that to get more info on it.

If it is an older java app that hasn't been updated the Mac OS/web browsers may have it flagged and insecure and it may never run as Diddler suggested.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Diddler on May 14, 2018, 01:39:03 AMHey Frailer,
It is to do with the Mac OS your running. You will never get it to work unless you go back to 10.6 ish.
PC world is not effected I believe. Could you make the 3D direct from your sever.

I feel your pain also.  :cane:

yes, just caught up with this from Wayne. I may look at running it out from the HP side; drag it across to send out. We try and stay away from the server as much as poss., but it could be done. But then any clients who are on Macs... :shrug:

Or, I could do an ostrich and hope it never comes into their heads to ask me again.   :rotf:

Cheers
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

Quote from: Joe on May 14, 2018, 07:43:49 AMJava is a pain to get to work anywhere these days and the latest versions of Mac OS are worse than any. Not sure if this is a Java app that runs in web browser or a stand alone java app like a .jar file but if it runs in the web browser...

First you need to go into your System Preferences and click the Java icon which launches the Java Control Panel. In there click the 'Security' tab. At the bottom click the 'Edit Site List'. There you will need to put the JAVA URL seen in the web browser when you try to run that.

Once you get that URL in the site list and save try it again with Safari. The latest versions of Chrome or Firefox does not allow Java application run using them. And by default Safari has them blocked as well.. To let them run in Safari you have to go into Safari preferences and click on the 'Website' icon. In the left column scroll down to and click on the Java plug-in and enable it. The website app you are trying to access should be shown in the right column. You can select that website to be off or on. Change it to on. The java app should now be available to run in Safari although it may help to clear the cache and quit Safari and then re-launch it before you can get it to work.

If it is a .jar file you have set the default application for it to be 'Java Web Start'. You can google that to get more info on it.

If it is an older java app that hasn't been updated the Mac OS/web browsers may have it flagged and insecure and it may never run as Diddler suggested.

Thanks Joe. :backingawayslowly:

Joe

So is it a .jar file? If my memory is reliable, which it may not be, I think it is a .jar file. Our ManRoland press has a java applet that is a .jar file and it will not run on OS X Sierra and ManRoland has told us it will only run on Windows. I have seen other .jar files that will run on OS X Sierra. If you can...send me one and I'll give it a shot.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on May 15, 2018, 07:35:23 AMSo is it a .jar file? If my memory is reliable, which it may not be, I think it is a .jar file. Our ManRoland press has a java applet that is a .jar file and it will not run on OS X Sierra and ManRoland has told us it will only run on Windows. I have seen other .jar files that will run on OS X Sierra. If you can...send me one and I'll give it a shot.

I can't even generate it to send to you. It stops at Export stage. I'd need, as you said earlier, to get JDK.

When I look at the various download options for which one, I back away slowly.

I'll have another look today.

Joe

The one to download is this one. The first one listed (8u171) is always the current version. The next one is a pre-release of the upcoming version (8u172). Sort of like a beta version. I stay away from it.

[attach width=500]18669[/attach]