News:

Main Menu

CRON Platesetters

Started by Slappy, November 11, 2019, 09:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

That wouldn't have happened with a processless plate!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

Looks like you have an auto feeder?
Seems putting the punched side in first could be a problem
I never worked with feeders tho

wonderings

Quote from: DigiCorn on January 20, 2020, 11:10:53 AM
I LOVE the self-squaring setup on that platesetter. The last Screen I used, you had to line it up perfectly, or it'd punch crooked (or possible jam on loading). It had like a ruler on it where we marked it with opaque tape so you could load it centered.

We had a Screen 4100 and have a similar/identical AGFA unit at my new place. Never had an issue with crooked punches. We have a bit of marker showing the edge for our QM and 74 plates. I never have to be perfect, just close and it makes the adjustment needed.

The idea of going back to a process system just seems backwards to me. Maybe there are benefits but I do not want to deal with chemicals anymore, plus all the fun clean ups and filter changes. They brought it up here and the idea lasted about 5 seconds before everyone spoke up saying how bad an idea that would be.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Slappy on January 27, 2020, 09:22:00 PM
Well, the Honeymoon sure didn't last long.  :shoots_self:
That's a funny way to make a plate
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: wonderings on January 28, 2020, 02:11:05 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on January 20, 2020, 11:10:53 AM
I LOVE the self-squaring setup on that platesetter. The last Screen I used, you had to line it up perfectly, or it'd punch crooked (or possible jam on loading). It had like a ruler on it where we marked it with opaque tape so you could load it centered.

We had a Screen 4100 and have a similar/identical AGFA unit at my new place. Never had an issue with crooked punches. We have a bit of marker showing the edge for our QM and 74 plates. I never have to be perfect, just close and it makes the adjustment needed.

The idea of going back to a process system just seems backwards to me. Maybe there are benefits but I do not want to deal with chemicals anymore, plus all the fun clean ups and filter changes. They brought it up here and the idea lasted about 5 seconds before everyone spoke up saying how bad an idea that would be.
I don't remember what model Screen we had... it's ancient history to me; I'm never going back there again. It was "processless," but it would punch before loading onto the drum and then it would dump out onto a conveyor and go through essentially a wash and gum and then it was ready to hang. You could clean the processor, one guy, in about an hour and a half if you knew what you were doing. We ran the Agfa plates, but it was a special version of those... TS if I recall. Blue emulsion. Only once in 7 years there did I have to ever hit the "panic" button when a plate didn't mount properly to the drum and flew off inside the machine. I had some kind of vacuum system that lost it's air tight seal over time and attracted dust on the drum that resulted in "hot spots." I'm pretty much almost all digital now (we do shoot occasional paper plates and sometimes poly) and I don't deal with that side of it at all.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

mc hristel

I think you are going to have some problems getting that plate hung on a press.

Slappy

Quote from: Tracy on January 28, 2020, 01:54:04 PM
Looks like you have an auto feeder?
Seems putting the punched side in first could be a problem
I never worked with feeders tho
Yeah, my suspicion is that when the tech was out earlier that am (adjusting the plate punch) he left bridge down, we put it back in position and maybe was just a little bit off, and that one fed crooked. Not much, but it doesn't take a lot to get off-square into the processor and boom. Nice practice removing that bastard, really helps to have every asshole in the place come by & make "clever" comments too.  >:(

Quote from: wonderings on January 28, 2020, 02:11:05 PM
Wasn't MY idea, for sure but here we are - funny how that happens, eh?  :hangme:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

:laugh: That one was pretty crumpled!

I took a crumpled plate out to the pressroom once and said "Here's your plate"  :laugh:

born2print

te-he!
I may have, once or twice back in the day, handed someone blank / clear film for the job they gave me with no specs and no lasers.
That's wrong? How do you know??
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Tracy

Hee hee!
The good old days! when we had fun!!

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Torix

Yeah, I fully expect it'll be a Shared Experience.