News:

Main Menu

Type KO

Started by frailer, October 15, 2014, 11:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Rusty on this one, rarely encounter it.

PDF with vector bits, as well as type, sitting in Metallic 877. Vector bits are knocking out. Need to get the type to KO in XMF though.. Or, KO it in PitStop, and get it to honour it. Need to get trapping down to very fine, although we routinely run 0.01mm without any dramas. I could halve that for the job; I think they'll need something.

Any easy-peasy way of setting that in XMF? Having a look now but shall pick up in (our) morning.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Update... have KO'd type in Doc with PitStop, (only 32pager). I'll uncheck "Ignore document trapping". Shall see how it looks on rendered view in the morn....
The issue will be, I think, XMF wanting to OP 100K type.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

swampymarsh

Sometimes you just have to cheat and layer/stack some KO white type under the black, in order to beat auto overprinting that is beyond your control at the PDF document level (such as sending a prepared file to another printer).

Farabomb

Swampy, you're a rare bird. Most files I get from other printers are utter shit. I'm pretty sure the ones I get are not even looked at, they just forward the attachment.

Best part is the biggest offender is the one that has tunarounds measured in nano seconds. Then they have to go back through 5 people, a committee has to be formed, 4 conference calls and 2 executive orders later I'm told to replace the fonts.

Welcome to the insanity that is b4. you should fit in well here.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

During my brief foray into XMF we had black set to overprint for text that was smaller than 12 pt. Anything larger than that was set to knockout so I know it is possible. I just don't remember where that setting was at.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on October 16, 2014, 09:45:57 AMDuring my brief foray into XMF we had black set to overprint for text that was smaller than 12 pt. Anything larger than that was set to knockout so I know it is possible. I just don't remember where that setting was at.
I was going to ask Joe - what happened to XMF ? I thought you were going to switch from Prinergy to save some $$$.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

The imposition software couldn't do some of the things Prinergy/Preps could do for our web presses. Well they possibly could do it but it was a kludge at best to get what we needed. I didn't have any issues that I couldn't figure out eventually. But the owners were quite worried about the complexity of the work arounds for some of our operators. Had it been up to me I would have switched and made it work. But they didn't seem too concerned about the cost increases that Kodak put forth so now we pay about $1,900 - $2,000 per month for a support contract. Hey, it ain't my money.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

I haven't had a metallic job in a while but I remember having similar trouble. I seem to remember XMF seeing black as the dominant density, even though the metallic really should be. In addition to messing with the KO settings in XMF, I think I also had to edit trap settings to force it to see the metallic as being higher density than all other colors. This would make everything, including black, trap to the metallic.

... brings back memories of manually setting trap in Full Auto Frame for old Scitex CTF.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

... as I suspected. I just made a test page and it confirms my post. The workflow sees black as 1.734 density but PMS 877 as 0.691 density. This would mean the black would knock the metallic out. You can mess with the inks in XMF to alter the metallic density or lower the black density in the trapping threshold. I would work with the metallic density in the inks window, because lowering the black density could have a negative impact on how other process colors trap to the black.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

In this screenshot, you'll see I simply altered the neutral density of the 877 silver to an arbitrary number, higher than the black, making the metallic dominant.

frailer

;D   ... shall be up there in an hour or so. I'd call that Plan A... permanently. Off to get the espresso machine online. Priorities...

Ear

It really is the proper way to handle it. Just takes care of the problem globally, instead of getting PitStop involved. Might make a manual error and XMF could just override the work you did. Just gotta get dense, yo. :mrt:

frailer

Ear, I think I'm tripping up on that font size threshold Joe's referring to above. Not KO'ing on the smaller point sizes.
BTW, in our version, had to drop down to 'Override' before it would make the bogus density stick on the Metallic.
Looking Looking... like Con the Fruiterer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teitdS2Dksk

frailer

Yeah, had crossed my fevered mind late yesterday, but thanks for the prompt, Joe. Under 'Overprint'.  :homer: of course. have switched it off... re-rendering as I post.  :fingerscrossed:

frailer

Aahhh.. sweet success!  Thank you ear, thank you Joe, .. linesmen, ballboys.