Printing out_problems

Started by frailer, December 10, 2008, 04:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: The Stevinator on December 11, 2008, 08:25:46 AMI can't say if that Epson is a PS printer or not, but keep in mind he could not have a RIP and it could not be a PS printer.  Thus forcing him to have to print from photoshop anytime he needs something.

That makes no difference. I print to a Non-PS printer everyday, NOT out of Photoshop. File formats would play a major factor depending what app you choose to print from, excluding Photoshop. The key is not saving the data in any kind of encapsulated form, requiring postscript. So, a tiff, as an example would print just peachy out of your favorite layout app, IF the layout app is set up correctly in conjunction with your Non-PS printer. The opposite example would be an eps file.
Member #285 - Civilian

The Stevinator

How would you configure the layout app then?  I had a HP 5000 and I always had to print jpgs or tiffs to the plotter.  Photoshop seemed to work the best.  I'm interested on how you would print a raster based image from a layout app.
SJM

jimking

Quote from: The Stevinator on December 11, 2008, 09:23:30 AMHow would you configure the layout app then?  I had a HP 5000 and I always had to print jpgs or tiffs to the plotter.  Photoshop seemed to work the best.  I'm interested on how you would print a raster based image from a layout app.

Place the image and print.  :laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Simple as this... no RIP, no Raster Image Processing. So, in essence, anything postscript based is going to print like shit, including fonts. The Printer ain't doing the work, so you have to set up images that require no conversion to non-ps or vice-versa. Tiffs print fine, EPS files do not.

Setting your printer up will depend on if it is Non-PS or is. You need a driver and/or PPD, and all the other shit someone like us should already know. I got a POS Epson printer at home, non-PS.... it has limitations, and it took trial and error to figure out what works and what don't. Photoshop is just a PITA when it comes to printing, so have at it if your comfortable, I just don't like it.

HP5000, do you not have a software RIP hooked up to it? If I remember they are TIFF Printers are they not? That would make sense.
Member #285 - Civilian

delooch

how about this?

when our CLC is down, and i have to use our 'backup' (its a bizhub c351 - no PS rip, just PCL) - i just print whatever from acrobat, choose "print as image" in the advanced settings, and this usually clears up any PS-translation problems to the PCL printer.

Honestly i dont know how acrobat rasterizes the ps data, but any issues usually clear up this way..

DigitalCrapShoveler

Acrobat is acting like a software RIP and Rasterizing the file to acommodate Non-PS printers.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: The Stevinator on December 11, 2008, 09:23:30 AMHow would you configure the layout app then?  I had a HP 5000 and I always had to print jpgs or tiffs to the plotter.  Photoshop seemed to work the best.  I'm interested on how you would print a raster based image from a layout app.

Seriously? Call me. :kiss:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Possum

Cottage industry? Could be a PPD problem. They might have loaded a PPD from another computer instead of installing it correctly so Photoshop could see it.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

The Stevinator

Quote from: The Stevinator on December 11, 2008, 08:25:46 AMI can't say if that Epson is a PS printer or not, but keep in mind he could not have a RIP and it could not be a PS printer.  Thus forcing him to have to print from photoshop anytime he needs something.

It wasn't a PS printer.  Thus, any postscript sent to it would not print.

And no we didn't have a software RIP that would support it because it was some second hand shit that was included in a press purchase deal.
SJM

DigitalCrapShoveler

Exactly... are we on the same page Stevie, cuz I don't like your tone. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian