Font embed error

Started by frailer, December 15, 2008, 12:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Here's a desperate overnight question. I got GD to send missing font. It's a TT. It installed and activated OK with FEX. But failed on Export, [embedding licensing restrictions]. Converted to outlines, tried again. Got to Export that page OK. It went into Dyna, and printed an imposed PDF OK; but my RIP errored on it.
Tried a print to .ps from the Indy CS3 file; wouldn't Distill, same reason.

Is there a way to expunge this info and get it through my RIP?

Error [Distiller], message below. Name of font vendor withheld...well, deleted from copy/paste.

~~~~~~~~dobe PDF Settings: /Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Settings/Press Quality.joboptions
%%[ Error: WhiteChristmas cannot be embedded because of licensing restrictions. ]%%
%%[ Font vendor (#########) does not permit this font to be embedded in PDF. ]%%
%%[ Error: invalidfont; OffendingCommand: show ]%%~~~~~~~~~~

It's outlined... :rolleyes:   I bet this would get through an APPE RIP.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

beermonster

tip:

go into illy - do the text there - outline in illy, save out as ai file

place ai file in indy - no font issues

happy easter :smiley:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Joe

How did you outline the fonts? If you just selected them with Pitstop and converted the selection you might have missed some hidden text or a space etc...try global change and see if it makes a difference. Unless you already used it. :wink:

Plus, what was the RIP error? For the same font issue?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

The Stevinator

Yeah you must have missed something that's using that font.  Such as a blank space, blank text box.  Most likely that is the case.  Simply select all, convert to curves.  Another reason may be they have placed artwork inside their Indy file that uses that font too.  So your not converting that placed file simply through Indy.

I'm with Beermonster on this one.
SJM

frailer

Outlined the font in Indy CS3...[before, I mean...1st round].  Am now trying the .ai out of Illy, but, see shots below. Weird font, obviously just meant for home printing Xmas cards, straight to a printer, am guessing.

Has a "Splash" over it.. You can see the type in outline view only. When I place the outlined font in Indy, I see nothing... :undecided:

...edit/added: after tooling around with it in Illy, realised the splash is a collection of "elements" comprising each letter. All listed in Illy switch 'em off one by one and the letters disappear. Too weird; but worthy of further "tooling" in a quiet moment. But only until Xmas! Past then I'll have to wait till next December.
Or...maybe because we don't have White Christmases here, it won't print/behave. [stop the corny jokes now... :whatever:].
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

Well, was able to make a call, and get the CSR-type person to call the GD, who emailed a PDF of the page. White Xmas font not showing in Doc Props. Now outlined at her end...but what was I tripping up on?
I'm determined to do it. Shall see...but at least now an "exercise".   :rolleyes:

gnubler

When I outline a font in Indy, the frame is still a text frame with that evil font designated. I just cut/paste the actual outlines and delete the offending frame. Check my font usage to make sure the evil font is no longer present in the file.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

You clever litttle squirrel. You may have just hit the nail on the head. Am off home now, but shall re-test tomorrow, and post back. Has to be something that silly...as in some line of code the contains the evil reference, that goes away when you do that.     :smiley:

gnubler

Right-o. I set a keyboard shortcut to check font usage: Command (or Control) + Shift + F. I can see instantly which fonts are used in my file. Sometimes I am the guilty offender, as I use shitty fonts available for free online and sometimes they balk about being embedded in a PDF - so I just outline them, dump the text frame.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

If you had access to Fontographer, you could strip the copyright info out of the offending font/fonts, reload font and re-embed in the PDF. I do it all the time. I get a lot of Interweb downloadable free bullshit fonts in some of our pub work, and since it is redundant, it makes it pretty handy for re-offending files.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 16, 2008, 01:13:32 PMIf you had access to Fontographer, you could strip the copyright info out of the offending font/fonts, reload font and re-embed in the PDF. I do it all the time. I get a lot of Interweb downloadable free bullshit fonts in some of our pub work, and since it is redundant, it makes it pretty handy for re-offending files.

Here comes the font police.  :police: :smileycop:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

We in Prepress refer to them as "Font Pigs." Never met one. I think they exist where the "Truant" officer does. In your mind!
Member #285 - Civilian

David

Fontographer is a must...

got one that runs in OS9 and use it every week.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: david on December 16, 2008, 02:03:47 PMFontographer is a must...

got one that runs in OS9 and use it every week.

Dave, I have never really pursued it, do they have a font manipulator in the same league as Fontographer for OSX?
Member #285 - Civilian

David

yes they do...

I actually tried the demo version a while back...

http://www.fontlab.com/font-editor/

at the time, they didn't want to spend the money so I stuck with Fontographer.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca