Weird font problem

Started by frailer, March 27, 2009, 11:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Got a 92pp Annual Report, due to be got into Monday. Got it last thing Friday, and tried to sort it, fonts-wise at least. Eliminated half a doz. spaces etc. in non-existent fonts; but 1 persists. Symbol (TT)...see 1st screenshot. When I go Find First, in Find Font, I assume I should convert to Bliss Reg; (that's what gets highlighted, but the bullets get the pink/missing highlight). But, the change won't take.

I've got Symbol, but a PostScript version; looks like Greek-style text; a basic set. I'm sure this Symbol isn't it.   :undecided:

Also, has anyone ever got the error message in the 2nd shot? I was trying to Export P17 as a test.   :sad:

Indy CS3 job. This lady's jobs are problematic. What would she achieve in Quack!    :shocked:

Oh, and wouldn't that font problem be flagged on Package?   Does she just flick on, regardless?

Beer has suggested dropping fonts into System folder. Never been that brave, but maybe I'll try on this one. Any pointers/traps to watch for?
BTW, I don't have Symbol (TT).     Have done all maintenance in Tools menu (FEX Pro).

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

On the 2nd one check and see how she has them numbered. She has probably numbered them differntly and and now there is not any 17.

On the first one, drop them into the Users:~:Library:Fonts folder and when you are done remove them.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Thanks Joe. I prolly posted a bit hastily, it being last thing Friday and had to get out the door...but thought I'd throw it out there anyway, as it was on the mind a bit. 

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gnubler

Quote from: frailer on March 27, 2009, 11:05:30 PMBeer has suggested dropping fonts into System folder. Never been that brave, but maybe I'll try on this one.

Frailer, do not be afraid. This is the most basic and foolproof method of loading fonts needed for a job. I believe you can even drop them in a subfolder in either your root or user Library>Fonts folder. Like others have said, when done, just delete. I do this often when I don't feel like firing up FEX - I only tend to use that when I want to browse the appearances of fonts.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

determined

Sometimes with OTF, it's the only way to load them (Library>/Fonts). And, for the second problem, like Joe said, they have their pages named something else (check the bottom left hand box on your screen, it'll say what they're named).

Oh and you might be able to find a TT version of Symbol (for free!) at either Whatthefont.com or dafont.com
Murphy must have been in printing....

frailer

Thanks for the tips guys.  Seems "Symbol" covers a multitude of images/dingbats; many types/sets.    dafont.com looks like a good starting point.

The Stevinator

i would use something like fontlab studio and convert it to true type, and change all possible font names to what  you see in your find font window.

did she not even supply a hard copy mockup or pdf mockup?
SJM

frailer

Thanks again...I await a possible send of the font from the GD. Should, I hope, drop into FEX, and all should be well. I'm a Pollyanna, always have been.

determined, here's a screenshot of the bottom right corner...so, name it like, Sec1:17, correct?...in PDF Export page field...

edit...yep, she'd changed the number-naming from P 6 onwards.     :huh:      Exporting OK now.      :cool:

determined

That's exactly it!!  Knew you'd find it   :grin:
Murphy must have been in printing....

frailer

Thanks, determined.

Had a disk dropped at my place last night, (their email was down), with the missing font, and the missing images...hopefully. Wish me luck.

Shall post back on the wash-up. Sure everyone's on the edge of their seats...not.    :laugh:

frailer

She's sent me a font...a Symbol. See screenshots. Have activared in FEX, but get 'row of question marks'. Have dropped in Library>Fonts...(system).

Also shot of TransTypes spin on it. It can only convert it to PC. No help.

frailer

Joe

Any designer uses a dfont in their design should have their fingernails pulled out with pliers and their hands dipped in a vat of 100% wood alcohol. :evil:

youston

Quote from: Joe on March 30, 2009, 05:47:16 PMAny designer uses a dfont in their design should have their fingernails pulled out with pliers and their hands dipped in a vat of 100% wood alcohol. :evil:

Joe, you always cloud your true feelings in layers of obfuscation ... why don't you come out and tell us straight up how you REALLY feel!  :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: youston on March 30, 2009, 05:55:35 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 30, 2009, 05:47:16 PMAny designer uses a dfont in their design should have their fingernails pulled out with pliers and their hands dipped in a vat of 100% wood alcohol. :evil:

Joe, you always cloud your true feelings in layers of obfuscation ... why don't you come out and tell us straight up how you REALLY feel!  :laugh:

Jezza would probably have to ban me. :smiley: