Variable data software fav's

Started by Aaron, November 08, 2010, 12:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

So we might be looking into a digital press.... *cough* color copier.... that we will be running variable images and mail lists through. Most-like just mail merge onto static image.

What is everyone in love with? Printshop Mail? XMPie?

I have no experience with this category of software. Any advice would be mucho helpful.

Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

gnubler

I'm in the bottom of the barrel and am able to accomplish quite a bit with InDesign's Data Merge using a background image for static elements (so, sending 2 files to my "color copier" that get merged together for one output).

Multi-up and cut & stack is a big pain, I have to do it manually and chop up my spreadsheet files to do so.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

youston

Quote from: Aaron on November 08, 2010, 12:07:31 PMSo we might be looking into a digital press.... *cough* color copier.... that we will be running variable images and mail lists through. Most-like just mail merge onto static image.

What is everyone in love with? Printshop Mail? XMPie?

I have no experience with this category of software. Any advice would be mucho helpful.

We use XMPie. I dig it.

DCurry

We use FusionPro and also HP SmartStream. FusionPro is very powerful for the money and has good support. SmartStream is proprietary, to be used only if you have an Indigo. It's not as powerful as FP. If I had to choose between the 2 I'd pick FP.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Aaron

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll check out FusionPro. Hadn't heard of that one. Printshop Mail is quite expensive. Are the others 5K+?

gnubler, you are using InDesign? Is the data merge a plug-in?

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

gnubler

Data Merge comes with Indy (I'm using CS4)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Aaron

huh. I'll have to check that out too. Thanks gnubler.

Tracy

gnubler

Aaron, if you want I can upload some sample files to show you how I use Data Merge. Generally I put static items on one layer to print as background image, and the variable data on another layer to export as PDF through the Data Merge palette. I've done names, addresses, personalized letters, numbering, variable images, etc all with Data Merge. You have to know how to work with spreadsheets and export the data as .csv.

Aaron

Cool. I'd love to see how it works. thanks gnubler.

youston

Quote from: Aaron on November 08, 2010, 01:41:01 PMThanks for the feedback guys. I'll check out FusionPro. Hadn't heard of that one. Printshop Mail is quite expensive. Are the others 5K+?

Our XMPie installation was $250,000.

gnubler

Quote from: youston on November 08, 2010, 02:46:54 PM
Quote from: Aaron on November 08, 2010, 01:41:01 PMThanks for the feedback guys. I'll check out FusionPro. Hadn't heard of that one. Printshop Mail is quite expensive. Are the others 5K+?

:laugh:

That's why I'm reduced to using Data Merge.

Aaron

Quote from: youston on November 08, 2010, 02:46:54 PM

You are joking, right???  :shocked:

gnubler

Here's an example of some awards I did recently. Static background, but variable "award" image based on 1st/2nd/3rd place and variable data based on age groups.

One static bg file: 233797_Award-DOTT10_bg.pdf
One variable data file (48 pgs): 233797_Award-DOTT10_5kRunF.pdf

You can see in my Indy file that I have 2 layers - one to export as bg, one for variable data. If you turn on Preview in the Data Merge palette and keep pressing the little arrow icon you'll see each "cell" of the variable data for the age group. (make sure .csv is linked)

I ended up running this one 1-up because it was too much of a PITA to do a multi-up (I got into that in another thread somewhere)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/43cdj8

boosted29

Yeah my owner is cheap so I use the Data Merge out of InDesign CS4 as well and haven't really had any problems at all.

I like it quite a bit in fact. I usually only merge files 1000 Names at a time but thats just because of my lack of RAM on my work machine
Quote from: gnubler on October 22, 2010, 12:54:19 PM
It's called "prepress". :laugh:

99% of the population doesn't even know we exist or are aware of the work that goes into printing their crap.