Acro X vs. Acro 9

Started by DigiCorn, January 31, 2012, 03:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Just got my new machine up and running. Ummm... one thing, though. I want to make Acro 9 my default pdf viewer instead of Acro X. I've tried a few things, but Acro X is still set as the default. I know this is kind of basic, but damned if I can't remember how to set Acro 9 as my default. I tried some stuff I read on the Goog, but none of it works. Am I stuck with Acro X as my default?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

when you installed 10 did it ask you to use it for the default?
it might be that you can't do that tho!
(have 9 be the default with 10 installed)

David

If you double click on a PDF file it will open with the most recent version installed on your Mac.

The only way to open it with a different version is to either:
a) have Acro 9 running before you double click
b) right mouse on the icon and click "open with" and scroll down
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Can it be done through Default App? Or does Adobe override that, as well?    :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

David

dunno, don't have that in SL.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Quote from: frailer on January 31, 2012, 04:04:54 PMCan it be done through Default App? Or does Adobe override that, as well?    :undecided:
That screen. Right there. How did you pull that up? That's what I am looking for.

Does anyone else really dislike Acro X? Or is it just me? The customize toolbar feature just plain SUCKS!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on January 31, 2012, 04:12:31 PM
Quote from: frailer on January 31, 2012, 04:04:54 PMCan it be done through Default App? Or does Adobe override that, as well?    :undecided:
That screen. Right there. How did you pull that up? That's what I am looking for.

Does anyone else really dislike Acro X? Or is it just me? The customize toolbar feature just plain SUCKS!

just do it and be done with it, it's like taking a band aid off.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Once you find everything in X you won't want to go back to 9.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Just tried to set up my tool bar... adding tools and getting them where you want them is a PITFA!!!

Also, setting up Pitstop custom tools in Acro X blows goats. WhyTF would they change it so radically? I liked being able to drag-and-drop my tools to set things up. I guess I'm really only to have to do it once, but it really, really sucks.

Haven't used Acro X yet, so I can't say really whether it's better or worse. But the initial configuration...  :hangme:
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

frailer

Sys prefs>Default App>File Type>Browse to Acro9

or......... do what Joe'n'Co say. I'm getting to like X, once organised. Except when it crashes on optimizing biggies.

Office serrver upgrade time here... about to lose 'net for 4 hours...   :hello:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigiCorn

I don't seem to have that option...
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

DigitalCrapShoveler

1. Turn on the computer... make sure it's plugged in.
2. That little phone thingy there is called a mouse. No, you don't talk into it. You move it around. You may notice an arrow pointer moving about your screen. If not, see #1.

That's all I got. Good day, sir.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 31, 2012, 05:11:50 PM1. Turn on the computer... make sure it's plugged in.
2. That little phone thingy there is called a mouse. No, you don't talk into it. You move it around. You may notice an arrow pointer moving about your screen. If not, see #1.

How about a video tutorial?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on January 31, 2012, 05:13:44 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 31, 2012, 05:11:50 PM1. Turn on the computer... make sure it's plugged in.

How about a video tutorial?

I'll see if I can fit it in. VERY hot business card I gotta do. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian