"Save As" in Acro 7= fix!?

Started by frailer, December 11, 2007, 05:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Anyone experienced re-saving a PDF to make it RIP-happy. This worked for me today on an imposed PDF forme, but I dunno why. It was Distilled via Acro 6 Pro. I know I should update it [it generates Watched Folder PDFs, post PREPS]. A re-save via Acro 7 stopped it from "hanging" in the RIP. I'm guessing the Acro 6 files are getting to be problematic, maybe. Too far outa whack with more and more later version content coming in. Maybe?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

David

yes, "save as" cleans some crap out of a PDF file and makes it happy for me all the time, it can also reduce the file size, sometimes quite a bit.

a regular "save" won't do it, has to be a "save as".
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

ninjaPB_43

yep..  seen it here too.  doesnt always work for me, but has helped in the past..
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Ear

All the time, especially high page count PDFs... It's only about 5% of the jobs, maybe less but it's a life saver. When it's REALLY bad, you can save as EPS then re-distill too.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

pdboddy

I have seen this as well, it removes ... cruft... from the pdf.  Sometimes the reduce file size option works as well, if you save the pdf as a current or recent version.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: pdboddy on January 13, 2008, 12:17:27 AMI have seen this as well, it removes ... cruft... from the pdf.  Sometimes the reduce file size option works as well, if you save the pdf as a current or recent version.

I believe the reduce file size can also reduce resolution depending on the settings in the "PDF optimizer dialog".
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

pdboddy

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on January 13, 2008, 10:12:53 PM
Quote from: pdboddy on January 13, 2008, 12:17:27 AMI have seen this as well, it removes ... cruft... from the pdf.  Sometimes the reduce file size option works as well, if you save the pdf as a current or recent version.

I believe the reduce file size can also reduce resolution depending on the settings in the "PDF optimizer dialog".

Yes, it can, and that's something to watch out for if you don't want your images downsampled.  Though, many times, that's what's increasing the size of a pdf...