mail...He-e-e-elp!

Started by frailer, October 16, 2014, 03:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

See screenshot. Have looked at prefs. On 10.6.8. Have run applejack. Still getting it.  :sad:

No Messages can be moved to Mail's Trash.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

born2print

Quote from: frailer on October 16, 2014, 03:31:00 PMSee screenshot. Have looked at prefs. On 10.6.8. Have run applejack. Still getting it.  :sad:

No Messages can be moved to Mail's Trash.
which mail mate?

did you try different browser for giggles to see if it is related?
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

frailer

No, our Apple Mail. Required in-house... not webmail.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

born2print

Quote from: frailer on October 16, 2014, 03:41:51 PMNo, our Apple Mail. Required in-house... not webmail.
I have some wild guesses:
Clear cache?
Java related?
enable popups?
Change login (password)?
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Joe

Corrupted mailbox. I don't have any Macs running OS X 10.6.8 but on 10.9.5 you click the trash folder so it is highlighted then go to the Mailbox menu and click "Rebuild". If this doesn't work you might have to move the Deleted Messages.mbox to the desktop and then relaunch Mail and see if it re-creates it for you. It is located at /Users/~/Library/Mail/V2/Mailboxes or it should be something similar in OS X 10.6.8.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Hmmm ..tried both. No go. It's secondary to my Black/metallic brawl in XMF right now, but I'll revisit later.

Did a Quit/relaunch as well.. I've replaced that file, as it didn't seem to rebuild it. Really hoped applejack might have worked..   

frailer

Mail is an Apple in-house app, correct? Could I use AppCleaner to uninstall, then re-install? If so, from where to I re-install? Or is that agin Apple's rules?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Are you trying to delete one specific message, or many? You definitely have some corruption going on. Try grabbing another mail app from a different machine and copying over the original on your machine...

Do you have a back-up you can access? You know, you should be backing up your machine DAILY, right?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I see someone else on the Apple Forums has had the same issue. Their solution was:

QuoteBut I have solved the problem by going to
Outgoing mail server - Advanced - mailbox behaviour - deleted mailbox - trash - on the server - trash - ticked

No idea if it works though that user claimed it fixed the same issue as yours.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on October 16, 2014, 04:25:24 PMMail is an Apple in-house app, correct? Could I use AppCleaner to uninstall, then re-install? If so, from where to I re-install? Or is that agin Apple's rules?

Yeah it isn't the application it is a corrupted file/folder somewhere. If you don't mind losing any old mail you have saved in your mailboxes and don't mind setting up your account again just delete the "Mail" folder from your user Library folder and you will get a complete fresh start.

DigitalCrapShoveler

He could always go back before he downloaded the bad message and restore from a back-up... if he has one. At least then, he wouldn't lose all his mail.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

There shouldn't be anything in the Deleted Messages.mbox since it is trash so I think I would try moving this critter to the desktop and relaunching Mail and see if it fixes it.

Joe

And what is this back-up thing you speak of? :tongue:

frailer

I can "Move to Trash (on my Mac). A workaround , I guess, to keep the bloat down. But still a workaround. My understanding of how POP/ IMAP 'n stuff works is a bit limited. 

Joe, that tip from Apple Forums... is it in Prefs?... (screenshot)

Joe

Quote from: frailer on October 16, 2014, 05:55:30 PMI can "Move to Trash (on my Mac). A workaround , I guess, to keep the bloat down. But still a workaround. My understanding of how POP/ IMAP 'n stuff works is a bit limited.  :undecided:

What are you using? POP or iMAP?