News:

Main Menu

Font vs Typefaces

Started by G_Town, October 12, 2011, 01:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

What do the two mean to you?

I am currently in an argument about which each one actually is (or was) with a 61 year old PITA.

Naturally being at one place his whole life he has one background and one definition.

Your thoughts please.

delooch

fonts = arial, helvetica, futura, etc.
typeface = serif, sans serif, etc.

Joe

When we say fonts, we should actually be saying Typefaces
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Stiv

IMO the name is the font and the style is the typeface.  :deadhorse:

Joe

Farabomb

Quote from: Joe on October 12, 2011, 01:21:07 PMWhen we say fonts, we should actually be saying Typefaces

Wiki=

In typography, a font is traditionally defined as a quantity of sorts composing a complete character set of a single size and style of a particular typeface. For example, the complete set of all the characters for "9-point Bulmer" is called a font, and the "10-point Bulmer" would be another separate font, but part of the same font family, whereas "9-point Bulmer boldface" would be another font in a different font family of the same typeface. One individual font character might be referred to as a "piece of font" or a "piece of type".

So is it both?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

G_Town

I'm going with Joe's guy.

About the Author: Allan Haley is the director of words and letters at Monotype Imaging, where he is responsible for the strategic planning and creative implementation of just about everything related to typeface designs and editorial content for the company's type libraries and websites. Prior to Monotype, Haley was the principal of Resolution, a consulting firm with expertise in fonts, font technology, type and typographic communication. He was also executive vice president of International Typeface Corporation. He is an ex-officio chairman of the board of the Society of Typographic Aficionados and past president of the New York Type Directors Club.

G_Town

I give up I'm arguing with a moron "we always called them a family of fonts" and he can't get his mind around the fact you have a typeface (Bodoni) and a font that makes it.

I guess killing him is out of the question so I need to let it go.

David

kill em...   

gitoffmahlawn!

I don't need no stinkin' fonts....
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Quote from: G_Town on October 12, 2011, 01:50:44 PMI guess killing him is out of the question so I need to let it go.

Not really. You & Delooch can team up and get rid of his stupid coworker at the same time.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on October 12, 2011, 01:33:09 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 12, 2011, 01:21:07 PMWhen we say fonts, we should actually be saying Typefaces

Wiki=

In typography, a font is traditionally defined as a quantity of sorts composing a complete character set of a single size and style of a particular typeface. For example, the complete set of all the characters for "9-point Bulmer" is called a font, and the "10-point Bulmer" would be another separate font, but part of the same font family, whereas "9-point Bulmer boldface" would be another font in a different font family of the same typeface. One individual font character might be referred to as a "piece of font" or a "piece of type".

So is it both?

QuoteTypefaces are designs like Baskerville, Gill Sans or Papyrus. Type designers create typefaces. Today they use software programs like Fontographer or Font Lab to create the individual letters. A few still draw the letters by hand and then scan them into a type design application.

Fonts are the things that enable the printing of typefaces. Type foundries produce fonts. Sometimes designers and foundries are one and the same, but creating a typeface and producing a font are two separate functions.

Farabomb

That's too many fonts typefaces glyphs characters words for me to read.  :tongue:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

I converted it to outlines...  all good now.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Syphon

Font. Typeface. It doesn't matter to me.
I simply refer to all of them as "those thingys".
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

I prefer "evil bastards". :laugh: