Variable Handwriting Font

Started by Slappy, January 18, 2012, 11:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Curious to see if anybody has seen or uses a font like this. We got it at home after the Silly Season was over, and I'm really impressed with what is essentially a black job on like a 16pt uncoated sheet. Check out the differences in identical letters, how's that done? Not sure why it was designed as a "postcard" mailing though.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

David

that is a neat font, I also wonder how you pick the different shapes for the same letter.
did the other side have a picture on it?

It was probably done as a postcard because it's cheaper to send through the US mail.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Slappy on January 18, 2012, 11:19:08 AMCurious to see if anybody has seen or uses a font like this. We got it at home after the Silly Season was over, and I'm really impressed with what is essentially a black job on like a 16pt uncoated sheet. Check out the differences in identical letters, how's that done? Not sure why it was designed as a "postcard" mailing though.

What font is it? I'd like to see it in Fontographer. Are you sure it's not just scanned text that has been outlined?
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

I've seen this done in FusionPro™. You create a number of options for each letter and then let FusionPro™ randomize your type based on a code that associates each letter with each image file.

Also, found this: http://whattheythink.com/video/55781-handwriting-its-not-just-humans-anymore/
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

No pic, but it has a some HUGE text, again all in black but get this - it's black foil stamped! Actually the Fab logo on that side I posted is also foil stamped in black. And it mailed in an envelope, which is why the postcard format confused me, guess it's just a "cool thing" they did. Our address on the env is in that same font, only the name is kind of bold, but not. It's more like when you write something & then go over it again, and the whole address has odd line spacing & is angled a little. (Attaching it now)

Like I said, a very impressive & well-thought out piece that's essentially just K/K. Oh, and I asked her if the product they mentioned was even all that pricey that it would warrant a mail piece, out of curiosity. She said that was like a $4 item, and she only ordered 3 of them! To be fair, I know she's bought other stuff from them, so she must have hit a "threshold" of some kind that triggered the mailing and they randomly chose this particular item for the card.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 18, 2012, 11:53:41 AM
Quote from: Slappy on January 18, 2012, 11:19:08 AMCurious to see if anybody has seen or uses a font like this. We got it at home after the Silly Season was over, and I'm really impressed with what is essentially a black job on like a 16pt uncoated sheet. Check out the differences in identical letters, how's that done? Not sure why it was designed as a "postcard" mailing though.

What font is it? I'd like to see it in Fontographer. Are you sure it's not just scanned text that has been outlined?
Nah, since the product inserted (Sectional Pedestal Porcelain) is unique & they likely have thousands of items, it has to be a database then generated variably.

Slappy

Quote from: DigiCorn on January 18, 2012, 11:54:56 AMI've seen this done in FusionPro™. You create a number of options for each letter and then let FusionPro™ randomize your type based on a code that associates each letter with each image file.

Also, found this: http://whattheythink.com/video/55781-handwriting-its-not-just-humans-anymore/
Ahhhh, interesting. Maybe once i get over the hurdle of learning the basics in FP I can explore that - thanks!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Slappy on January 18, 2012, 12:02:38 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 18, 2012, 11:53:41 AM

Nah, since the product inserted (Sectional Pedestal Porcelain) is unique & they likely have thousands of items, it has to be a database then generated variably.

Pretty interesting nonetheless. Makes a lot more sense after watching Corn's video. Not saying this was done that way, but it did offer some explanations on variable letters and the differences between characters. Must be an algorithm that randomizes characters based on their repetition.
Member #285 - Civilian

Slappy

Yeah, I went to the site for the guys who made that machine in the vid, they have over 500 fonts like this! All lasered, and they appear to have the same kind of unique individual letters, I just haven't seen much use of it before.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway