Compensate for WEB COATED

Started by born2print, March 08, 2013, 11:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2print

I am basically familiar with WEB but have never shoveled for them as we're all offset sheetfed.
We have a good customer who also has web printing done and are told their images are beyond max density.
Not surprising since they don't compensate them for web. They asked us what we think and we were thinking the web plant prepress could easily have a curve in the render or rip that would cut the max den back but the printer apparently said no (?)
I was wondering if anyone knows a decent solution, such as a profile they've used, where the client could select it while exporting their pdf?
The client doesn't want to cut back and manage 2 versions of their images and I don't blame them.
I hoping not to have to do too much testing so a couple of recommendations would help a lot.
Thanks in advance,
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Joe

Do you know what workflow the printer has. For example, in Prinergy it is easy to set up a preflight profile that will correct the max density.

As far as a profile to use to set max density....I have a customer horror story for that. We have one that wanted to do the exact same thing so they applied the profile and didn't like the looks of the images in the PDF on their screen because it was for uncoated which reduces the max density to 240. Their solution. Apply the profile to the images and then again when outputting the PDF. This then changed the max density back up to 300+ but also turned all black to 4/C but they liked the way their images looked on the screen. Be damned with how they come off the press.

Anyhoo, applying the profile at PDF output time did change all of the blacks to 4/C for the customer so we put the nix on it.

Acrobat has preflight profiles that can reduce the max density as well. You might want to look at one and see what profile it is using or how it is reducing it. Might be able to apply that in a PDF job options file for Indy.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

Thanks Joe, we are running some tests with Japanese Web coated or smthn like that. Problem is we are not the web printer and the printer doesn't seem helpful.
We just confirmed the K -> 4/c side effect.
I'm not sure if the client would be interested in Acrobat "fix" but that is good info too.
Happy Friday btw!  :banana:

mattbeals

You need a device link profile to reset the ink density without reseparating by going through RGB.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

born2print