OUtsoucing print But....

Started by LoganBlade, May 31, 2008, 12:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoganBlade

Bossman wants to sell plates to the print vendor. Have a hard time believing anyone is going to take plates I make to print from. He wants to control as much of the cost as possible. I am wondering if we find a vendor that is willing to take on our outsourced work. What are the odds I can send them impositioned TiffB files for out put to their platemaker. Yes I would have to finger print but if I could controll the impo and the paper I would be paying for Print and Bindery. Do any of you believe I would be able to pull this off with a commercial printer.

I want the price to be competitive but I also want to show how much more (I am hoping) it is going to cost oursourcing work so I MIGHT be able to get them to rethink the layoff. I have lots of these pipe dreams. If you need more info please tell me. I need info to give boss.
"dyslexics have more fnu"

EyeTech

I need to get this straight - are you suggesting you supply plates and paper stock to a commercial printer for them to print from/on?

If this is the case then this not unusual, not in the UK at least. Things to bear in mind. You'll need to be know the presses' plate size, grip distance, punching centres. And then be advised that if the materials you supply are not to a certain standard then they may be rejected by the printer and costs incurred passed on to you.

The savings aren't great - we markup paper at only around 5% whilst plates - well, we charge them out at 20.00 GBP each - around $40.

Hope I interpreted your post correctly.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

Joe

Impositioned one bit tiffs are a possibility but you'll both need a speedy and reliable internet connection. The files can be huge. Sending plates would be a nightmare IMO. Not many printers want to shut a press down while you overnight them a new plate.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

LoganBlade

So far it is what I thought. I am not a fan of the plate but the TiffB might be helpful. I understand I would need to profile presses at my a cost to me or I hope to convince them it is there own best interest to work with me. I still hope it cost a shit load more to do this and they see how much it affects the closedown of my shop. Thanks for the reply it will help explain to the boss.

G_Town

We used to do that all the time with a customer at the "old place" they did the initial finger print of our "40 then after that they just posted the imposed 1bits to their ftp site, actually worked quite well.

jimking

Down time is a factor to consider. You'd be remote from the press and if there's an error it could hold things up and add cost and time to the job. I'd be more inclined to supply a print ready pdf and the paper and let the printers do what they do best.

LoganBlade

Well I think it is going to end up being Print Ready PDF file. All vendors coming in for evaluation of Equipment want the Delta rip as well as the TiffB Output director for our CTP. Next week is the last of the in house printshop until they realize the errors of their ways. Thanks all for you input and suggestions

Mike

G_Town

Quote from: jimking on July 02, 2008, 07:43:35 AMDown time is a factor to consider. You'd be remote from the press and if there's an error it could hold things up and add cost and time to the job. I'd be more inclined to supply a print ready pdf and the paper and let the printers do what they do best.

We initially started with a pdf but they changed after the first job didn't want there to be anyway for us to alter the file.

Apparently they were concerned we were going to put a willy on Tony the Tiger :tongue:

Still never really had any issues with the tiffs