WTF is this?

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, April 28, 2014, 05:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Designia(o_O)

Quote from: Joe on May 02, 2014, 12:55:27 PM
Quote from: born2print on May 02, 2014, 11:30:18 AM
Quote from: DesigniaToo on May 02, 2014, 10:40:35 AMCan you get a college degree in prepress? Or, excuse me, digital production? Job postings like that make me so angry. For the time you have to put in to become adept at these programs on both platforms and then they're going to offer you $15/hr. It's crazy.
Especially if minimum wage goes up to $13 hr.

Never gonna happen.
Washington State just raised the minimum to $15. That's the min. in Australia also and one of the reasons it didn't go tits up when the rest of the world did.

Possum

Hey, at least he didn't require knowledge in Publisher.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

David

the bright side?   hahahahahaha
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 02, 2014, 11:36:45 AMWhat never made any sense to me is a dezinger with a degree knows NOTHING about printing, and makes $50/hr and does nothing but schmooze clients. A prepresser knows everything, but has no degree, fixes everything the dezinger does, and makes the client happy, but makes half as much and does three times as much work. In what world does that make sense?

That's really fucked up, man.
In the world of ad agencies, for one. Some of that salaries they pay people at my Wife's place are downright obscene, and many of those designers are early in their careers too.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

StudioMonkey

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on April 28, 2014, 05:16:50 PMKnowledge of printing terminology and practices.
Quality Control
Fine Arts

Wait - what?
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

David

Fine Arts...  wayyyy better than Regular Arts or the Low Down Arts.
Livin' la Vida Loca

youston

Quote from: david on June 13, 2014, 08:23:54 AMFine Arts...  wayyyy better than Regular Arts or the Low Down Arts.

You guys are totally reading this wrong. It's 'fine' as in not 'thick' or 'ultra fine,' or 'chisel tip.'

David

oh, sorry, my bad

that's a fine how'd you do.
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Quote from: david on June 13, 2014, 08:23:54 AMFine Arts...  wayyyy better than Regular Arts or the Low Down Arts.
I mastered in the Dark Arts. With Professor Snape.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

I did too! Only I had Professor Plum.
In the library.
with a rope.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

I thought it was a candlestick?
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

I get to be the thimble!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

youston

Quote from: david on June 13, 2014, 12:48:45 PMI thought it was a candlestick?

Back in 2010, on this very forum, it was the lead pipe.

frailer

Quote from: youston on June 13, 2014, 03:04:17 PM
Quote from: david on June 13, 2014, 12:48:45 PMI thought it was a candlestick?

Back in 2010, on this very forum, it was the lead pipe.

... ah, youston's back.   :cool:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.