Acrobat wants to print file after opening

Started by DigiCorn, October 30, 2019, 10:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Lately, when I open a pdf, the print screen pops up. It's a minor annoyance, but I can't find the preference to turn off this option.

Also, before a new file opens, it shows the last opened file until the new one finishes opening up. Again, annoying.

HELP! :gom:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Haven't seen the print screen popup when opening a PDF yet. And don't see a preference that would make it. Must be an "undocumented" feature. :P

I do see the second one happen and it bugs me too. Never seen it before I upgraded to Mojave. I'm not a fan of Mojave.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

I have the second issue, and have since Sierra (Skipped High Sierra). I had the print screen thing on one file and I don't know what caused it but again it was only with one file.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

jwheeler

I found this solution in another forum:

It turns out that it was a JavaScript issue. I must have somehow imported JavaScript that was causing the form to open the dialog box when I imported the original form file. To solve this, I opened the form in Edit mode, went to Other Tasks in the Form menu, and selected Document JavaScripts. From there, I just deleted the troublesome JavaScript code.

Here's what worked for me in Adobe Acrobat X:

(1) Run "Optimize Scanned PDF Images" under the menu on the right:

> "Tools" > "Document Processing" > "OptimizeScanned PDF Images"

-- During Scan, the process will stop at each Print Dialog Box.

-- Write down each page thatopens the Print Dialog Box

-- "Cancel" each Print function.

The scan process ends back at the first page. You now have a listing of all pages that invoke the JavaScript print command.

(2) Open the "Page Thumbnails" viewer on left menu

-- Enter the page number of the first identified page in thescan above.

-- "Cancel" the Print command

-- Right-Click in the Page Thumbnail of the selected page. And Select the following in the menu:

> "Page Properties"

> "Actions"

> "Delete"

> "OK"

Enter the next page number of the identified in thescan. Repeat the above delete process.

Continue until all JavaScript commands have been deleted forthe entire document.

(3) Save the PDF under a new name.

jwheeler

A couple of other responses in another forum:

Open in Adobe Acrobat. Goto tools > Javascript > choose "Document Javascripts". Then a dialog box pops up. There will be this.print() code with a corresponding script name (0 in my case). Just press delete botton in the dialog box and save.

In Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional the path is a bit different: Advanced > Document Processing > Document JavaScripts... > Press Delete in the pop-up dialog. – martias Jul 27 '18 at 6:38
This answer is incomplete, in that you have to turn off Enable Acrobat Javascript as @Sim K's answer says, in order to get past the print dialogue. (My document's script called this.print(); followed immediately by this.close().) I am going to add this answer's instructions to the accepted answer, to have one answer which gives the whole story.

DigiCorn

Yeah... that doesn't work. This happens to me on random documents, and when it happened just now, I did what you described, but NO print dialogue boxes popped up when I run the scan. And none of the pages have any kind of script on them.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Can you post a PDF that it does this with so we can see if it does it for us? Also Acrobat DC right?

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

pabney

Go to Tools->JavaScript->All JavaScripts and delete or comment out this line:

this.print({bUI:true,bSilent:false,bShrinkToFit:true});

Joe

Quote from: pabney on October 31, 2019, 12:54:28 PM
Go to Tools->JavaScript->All JavaScripts and delete or comment out this line:

this.print({bUI:true,bSilent:false,bShrinkToFit:true});

Yep...there is your document javascript.

DigiCorn

That did it. Why the fuck is it there?

This was a customer supplied pdf.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on November 01, 2019, 10:33:29 AM

You pretty much asked and answered your own question in that post.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on November 01, 2019, 11:04:27 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on November 01, 2019, 10:33:29 AM

You pretty much asked and answered your own question in that post.
No kidding.

Bastards. All of them.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

My guess is they somehow had the print dialog open when they last saved the file, then closed acrobat. That's the only thing I could think of.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris