FusionPro question/help

Started by DigiCorn, March 08, 2010, 10:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Posted this over at Printables, but didn't get a response last week, so I'll post it for you guys. You're the most smatest guyses and galses I knows. Thanks in advance!

I have a job coming in that requires "random" numbering. We are quoting 16-up on an imposition, in quantities between 10,000 and 25,000. The numbering needs to be random and will be like "107A" or "327G." I thumbed through the FusionPro user's guide and did searches here on the user forum and didn't see anything like it. Is this possible with FusionPro 6?

I am a novice user of FusionPro; really all I have done is use it for sequential numbering, but I am an expert on imposition. Can the sequential numbering script be altered to random numbering or random numbering with a letter?

return Round(Math.random()*1000, 0) + Chr(Asc('A') + Math.random()*26); is what I have, but not sure it will do what I described...

From the customer: "Can fusion pro print a log of the numbers for the client to cross reference (SO that they can lookup the number and make sure the number is not a forgery)."

This log, of course, coming from the script programmed above in this thread (a random number + a random letter as a take on the "sequential" numbering feature of FusionPro).

Also, just to verify, can the client supply us with numbers in some kind of spread sheet to use instead of us generating them via fusion pro. I think that it must be a .csv file (right) from Excel with the rows and cells properly formatted so FusionPro can incorporate them correctly?

Thanks in advance!!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

You should be able to generate random numbers with Excel and then output any type of file that Excel is capable of outputting.

http://www.mathwave.com/articles/random-numbers-excel-worksheets.html

http://www.graphpad.com/faq/viewfaq.cfm?faq=966
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

What about the log, and the addition of a random letter to the random number?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

They could easily use the excel document to cross check the numbers are valid or print it if they wanted a hard copy.

Letters shouldn't be that hard to generate with it. Maybe something like a password generator that generates a mixture of both. There is a lot of ways of doing this but a simple one might be like this that you can modify for your needs.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/rand_alphanum.html

Joe

Oh....maybe youston will stumble in here. He's pretty good with this kind of thing I do believe.

youston

Quote from: Joe on March 08, 2010, 11:06:16 AMOh....maybe youston will stumble in here. He's pretty good with this kind of thing I do believe.

Not so much when I'm stumbling, though.  :wink:

OP can modify the formula found at the link you just posted in order to generate the random numbers. However, you will only ever get 13 rows of the same letter with the second formula.

I'd just make a list of random letters, and copy it down as many cells as are needed to fit the list. Then, merge that column with the list of random numbers ... it will be a great success.

DigiCorn

OK. When I get the project, I will rely on you for tech support  :azn:
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

There ya go youston. Job security. :tongue:

Tracy

If fusion pro doesn't take the .csv save it as a .txt tab delimited.
my only 2 cents worth! :tongue: