Postscript out of InDesign with RTI RipKit, then ripping

Started by rickself, July 18, 2018, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

I've been doing some testing to speed things up in the old rip and I came up with much faster ripping with a separated PS file from InDesign and dropping THAT into the Navigator rip for plates. In the Roam window I compared the Cyan plate from a ps file ripped on my Mac, laying it down on a ripped file from Navigator and saw no difference. In a fraction of the time. Instead of moving a 20mb file across the network for it to rip 45 minutes, I moved a 100mb file across the network and it took only 2 minutes to rip. I made sure to change my screen angles in InDesign to reflect the same angles in the rip.

Is there something glaringly wrong with doing it this way? I do the layout in InDesign to the sheet size, add my own side guides, reg marks, colorbar - all the rip is doing is translating the file to plate.
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

Slappy

Quote from: rickself on July 18, 2018, 11:23:43 AMIs there something glaringly wrong with doing it this way?
Aside from being stuck firmly in 1992? I suppose not!  :lmao:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

rickself

Quote from: Slappy on July 18, 2018, 12:22:46 PM
Quote from: rickself on July 18, 2018, 11:23:43 AMIs there something glaringly wrong with doing it this way?
Okay, Okay, Okay, that wasn't fair! Maybe true, but not fair!
LOL, thanks for the...whatever.
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S

Joe

Quote from: rickself on July 18, 2018, 12:25:39 PM

You will be fine until something comes out wrong/missing. When that happens...good luck.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

rickself

Quote from: Joe on July 18, 2018, 01:24:09 PM

You will be fine until something comes out wrong/missing. When that happens...good luck.
I'm cautious. Going to do a lot of back and forth tests.
This goes back to the issue I was having the other day with Navigator/Harlequin not launching because I went in and tried to give more memory to the application. Come to find out that Navigator 8 is only a 32 bit program and if I want to utiize the RAM I loaded in the 64 bit ready XP box, we need to upgrade to at least Navigator/Harlequin 10. The boss lives for not spendng money, even if I have to manually trap and put sheet marks around the page. The dollars for a new rip that traps would have been paid for by now, but hey - job security for me.

DigiCorn

Quote from: rickself on July 18, 2018, 01:41:37 PM

This goes back to the issue I was having the other day with Navigator/Harlequin not launching because I went in and tried to give more memory to the application. Come to find out that Navigator 8 is only a 32 bit program and if I want to utiize the RAM I loaded in the 64 bit ready XP box, we need to upgrade to at least Navigator/Harlequin 10. The boss lives for not spendng money, even if I have to manually trap and put sheet marks around the page. The dollars for a new rip that traps would have been paid for by now, but hey - job security for me.
If you run into your old self in that space-time continuum, don't shake hands. Same matter can't occupy the same space, and you might explode the whole universe.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

This goes back to the issue I was having the other day with Navigator/Harlequin not launching because I went in and tried to give more memory to the application. Come to find out that Navigator 8 is only a 32 bit program and if I want to utilize the RAM I loaded in the 64 bit ready XP box, we need to upgrade to at least Navigator/Harlequin 10. The boss lives for not spending money, even if I have to manually trap and put sheet marks around the page. The dollars for a new rip that traps would have been paid for by now, but hey - job security for me.

Actually you would have to install a 64-bit OS before you can install the 64-bit version of Navigator/Harlequin 10. It would  probably require Windows 7 64-bit as the 64-bit version of Windows XP was horribly buggy.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on July 18, 2018, 03:06:13 PM

This goes back to the issue I was having the other day with Navigator/Harlequin not launching because I went in and tried to give more memory to the application. Come to find out that Navigator 8 is only a 32 bit program and if I want to utilize the RAM I loaded in the 64 bit ready XP box, we need to upgrade to at least Navigator/Harlequin 10. The boss lives for not spending money, even if I have to manually trap and put sheet marks around the page. The dollars for a new rip that traps would have been paid for by now, but hey - job security for me.

Actually you would have to install a 64-bit OS before you can install the 64-bit version of Navigator/Harlequin 10. It would  probably require Windows 7 64-bit as the 64-bit version of Windows XP was horribly buggy.

Yes, you would, went through this a couple of years ago. (windows 7, not XP).