Stupid Quark 12 File

Started by Slappy, August 11, 2016, 01:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on August 15, 2016, 03:09:22 PM:drunk3: yes, i used to like quark more than pacemaker, uh i mean ragemaker, uh i mean pagemaker at one point... so was not a quick indesign convert at all. But what I really want to know is who the hell ever had to deal with freehand? Never seen one of those files in my 20 years in this gig.

Depends on where you live and banged Prepress.

In California, it was Quark and Illustrator. In Oklahomo, it was PageMaker and Freehand. Don't ask me... I figured out a long time ago, people have a preference and it usually goes with the grain of the community using them.
Member #285 - Civilian

Possum

I went from PageMaker 2.0 and Corel Draw1.0 to Quark 3 and Illustrator 3 when the business sold. Now the owner wants to change to InDesign, but since we have decades of old files in Quark, I'm not about to do a whole job over just to make a change in a file.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Possum on August 15, 2016, 03:28:08 PMI went from PageMaker 2.0 and Corel Draw1.0 to Quark 3 and Illustrator 3 when the business sold. Now the owner wants to change to InDesign, but since we have decades of old files in Quark, I'm not about to do a whole job over just to make a change in a file.

I do NOT blame you.
Member #285 - Civilian

Possum

Especially with all the software we don't have, some jobs I do are just plain easier and faster in Quark by far. Hate to say it, but it's the difference in the way the two apps handle master pages, mostly.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Possum on August 15, 2016, 03:56:57 PMEspecially with all the software we don't have, some jobs I do are just plain easier and faster in Quark by far. Hate to say it, but it's the difference in the way the two apps handle master pages, mostly.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Quark was the shizno back in the day. It still could be if InDesign wasn't so damned intuitive and stable.
Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

Like pspdf@ppq$z!fxh#dpdq It took me a while to go from Quark to Indy. I was trained originally on Quack 3 and until the shortcomings of the JAWS PDF engine became evident, I was all quark. After I tired of beating my head against mystery rip errors and too many nightmares of fonts I decided when we were slow to try indy. It wasn't immediate but I found that indy just worked better. The mystery PDF errors went away and I just stopped using quark.

I think if it ain't broke, don't fix it but I also believe that you need to reevaluate your options every once and a while. Film worked for years but if you're at a shop now and running film, keep your resume current. I act like an old man but wisdom tells me to not be blind to other options or you'll be the old man yelling at clouds one day.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Reminds me of the shop where I worked that was having trouble getting rolls of poly plates. The sales geek finally told us we were the last in the US to use those plates, so we just had to wait until they made some more. I just started laughing. The boss didn't think it was funny.

Farabomb

You eventually have to upgrade. You can't put "artisan" or "handcrafted" on your sign until the equipment you're using is at least 125 years old.

We will be changing our sign in a few days.  ;D

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Guess I could bring my knitting or learn to weave baskets.   :old:

Farabomb

One of my former co-workers actually majored in weaving. I wasn't aware that was possible.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Wonder what his/her parents paid for tuition in that place.   :lmao:

David

don't know, but I bet they got some really nice sweaters for christmas...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: Possum on August 16, 2016, 12:41:50 PMWonder what his/her parents paid for tuition in that place.  :lmao:

Probably nothing as it is the normal type of courses for athletic scholarships.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

Along with remedial reading and beer appreciation.

Farabomb

She's a bit nutty but actually mild for prepress. I've worked with far more unhinged individuals. I have no idea about college as I only went there to skate and chase women. No need to enroll.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job