New CTP system today!

Started by DCurry, January 18, 2010, 07:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Well, the day has arrived and I am getting my new Agfa Avalon CTP system installed today. We will be using Azura TS plates and an Apogee workflow.

We de-installed the Presstek Dimension 800 on Friday.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

David

cool!
let us know how it goes!

cheers!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

tapdn

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

johnny_jay

Good Luck!!!

We have 2 Agfa Avalon VLFs runiing Amigo plates and all is great! We tried running Kodak Swords for a while - this was bad. We have a Prinergy Front end.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Tracy

DCurry

First day went smooth - got the equipment off the truck and up to the 2nd floor, then into my area. Techs spent yesterday removing lockdown brackets, leveling, and putting everything together. Today will be getting juice to it and probably some testing. Apogee install starts tomorrow.

It actually fits in the room a lot better than I expected. I think it is a little smaller than what Agfa has on the spec sheets (which is not a bad thing.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Santa

We de-installed the Presstek Dimension
[/quote]

Best day in pre-press was when we did that 5 years ago. No more zone balancing. :blowup:

Chelle

Congrats! New toys are always fun...
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

beermonster

nice. let me know how ya do with the plates - i have em and we love em

keep a close eye on "chemical usage" - note: there's not much........

the gummer unit - if the rollers arent tightened perfectly you can get a small gum residue build up on the rollers - comes off easy with the rinse out, but can also transpose a little onto the plates - then again that cleans off on press so no worries really

we have had not one single problem with the plate - not one

and we have had OVER 200k impressions out of em
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

DCurry

That's good to know, Beermonster. I am really impressed with how quiet the Avalon is -- old shop ran a Creo Lotem 400 that was very loud, and the Presstek we just de-installed was pretty loud as well. I am 10 feet away from the Avalon and it just whispers. It is also pretty fast, even though we got the low end speedwise.

Apogee training starts Monday. Right now we are sending out to a vendor to supply us plates for press, so we are eager to actually start making plates for ourselves again.

beermonster

cool - let me know how apogee goes too - i just got permission to get a rip for my ctp and proofer and i'm leaning towards apogee....then again evo ....studio rip....ohhh crap i dunno :undecided:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

jimking

Quote from: beermonster on January 21, 2010, 07:37:41 AMcool - let me know how apogee goes too - i just got permission to get a rip for my ctp and proofer and i'm leaning towards apogee....then again evo ....studio rip....ohhh crap i dunno :undecided:
We just won a bid from Wells Fargo on a Acento S 4up  with a auto feeder and gummer and ApogeeX, preps.

frailer

Quote from: jimking on January 21, 2010, 09:14:30 AMWe just won a bid from Wells Fargo

I used to watch Wells Fargo as a kid. One of my favourites. Dale Robertson was some sort of hero.   :laugh:

...off topic...sorry.   :embarrassed:  But then I'm on violet plates...so my eyes are glazing over.    :tongue:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

jimking

Quote from: frailer on January 21, 2010, 02:18:07 PM
Quote from: jimking on January 21, 2010, 09:14:30 AMWe just won a bid from Wells Fargo

I used to watch Wells Fargo as a kid. One of my favourites. Dale Robertson was some sort of hero.   :laugh:

...off topic...sorry.   :embarrassed:  But then I'm on violet plates...so my eyes are glazing over.    :tongue:
Jesus frailer wasn't that show on in the fifties?  :cheesy: My mortgage is through Wells Fargo.

DCurry

Update:  The Avalon is completely installed now and from what I've seen so far it is awesome.

Ran into some snags installing the Apogee client on our Macs, though. Spent the whole day with our IT guy and the Agfa guy trying to get it straightened out. I think we're on the right path now. In Agfa's defense we have very specialized IT needs that cannot and will not be compromised. Also the guy was tenacious about figuring out how to make it all work. The nice thing about moving from my small shop to this large corporation (though the print shop is still smallish) is that I can sit back and let IT and Agfa figure it all out.

So, I'm not planning on actually making live plates til Tuesday-Wednesday.