News:

Main Menu

Azura plates

Started by DigiCorn, December 13, 2013, 11:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Just got word this morning that Azura plates as we know them are going bye-bye. I was mentioning that I needed to clean the processor, but I have about 50 more plates to make when I heard; Agfa is going to replace our processor with a new one because they are changing the Azura plate to a cheaper emulsion that no longer requires the scrub rollers for processing; just a gum wash. To me, anyway, that says it will be a cheaper plate with a shorter press run life, but Agfa gets to charge the same or more and sell us a new plate processor.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DCurry

So I wonder if you'll be able to see the image on the plate as clearly as you can now? My guess is no, it'll be akin to Kodak and Fuji processor-less plates. If so, that's too bad because that was one of the best things that helped the AzuraTS stand apart from the competition.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Santa

Havent heard anything on my end as of yet....time to ask big orange what's going on.

Grimace

Hmmm, did they make the effort to contact you, or did you came about this info by happenstance?
I haven't been alerted to this change yet. And, i just order a new cube of processor gum...

kenchilla

yep we converted over 4 months ago. They say the plates are cheaper and no developer so thats cheaper. Plates supposedly dont last as long but havent had any complaints from the pressroom yet

Farabomb

No complaints from the pressroom?

Are you sure they are still alive?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

The rep was just here. I should have asked him, but I forgot about this thread.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Just had the Rep in here and it looks like we're going to give them a test. So far it seems everyone here really likes them and I'm a fan of the fact they have a gum unit.

Hopefully the price is right and the pressmen don't bitch too much.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Well the testing went well and we actually did one from of a live job with the plates.

The pressroom seems to like them. Only issue is mystery spots they come and go. I don't really think it's much of an issue seeing as I hand developed the plate so I don't think it cleaned out as well as it would with the actual machine.

I didn't even change the exposure from the Fuji plate. I just inverted the image and plated it. When we go live on these plates the proofer will be re-calibrated to the new plate.

Is there anything I should be concerned with? It doesn't seem people that are running the plates are having many issues.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

seratne

Unfortunately, the Agfa Azura plates are pretty good (not an Agfa fan). Very consistent, low maintenance, long storage times, high contrast, decent run lengths. The gum unit doesn't need running water, or a drain. And you can just dump it down the sink. No worries from the pressman about processing the plates on press (Fuji). The only downside is they are more expensive than the Fuji no process plates. They end up being about 10K more expensive per year for our shop. And that's just about the tipping point for the ease of use, reliability, etc. We figured out with the shorter make readies and being able to make plates a couple weeks in advance if need be that it's just about a wash price wise between the two. But having less headaches with the Agfa plates gives them the edge.

Why can't Fuji just add an offline processor for their plates?

DigiCorn

Working at this other shop and seeing their plates, I'm pretty sure they're Azura plates, rebadged and marked up by Heidelberg. Can anyone prove this?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

seratne

Digi, just carefully take the Heidelberg label off, the Agfa one is probably underneath it. They are absolutely the same, we had Heidelberg a while back, and they had a shortage of their plates, so they sent us some direct from Agfa.

Farabomb

I agree totally with the fuji no-chem plates. We tested them and it did not go well. I was told I don't have to make any changes except inverting the image. The plates never cleaned out, color was horrible and the pressmen were not a fan of the clean up on press BS. The emulation has to go somewhere and that's into the press.

The only issues I've ever had with AGFA was plate availability and that was with the old LAP-V plates. The Azura TS exposed fine  on the CAT and cleaned out by hand. The pressmen can see the image and the plated worked fine with the exception of some mystery spots.

Last time I talked to the rep there was a 3 week wait for the COU. Hopefully the boss doesn't jump the gun and get the plates in here and expect me to hand develop plates.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

They go blind way too quick for the shit we do here. I think they rate the same as Kodak Sword plates at about 100K impressions. In conjunction with UV inks, I get about 1/4 to 1/2 the run length.
Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

We only have a few long run jobs and when we were running them, the sword would work fine. Maybe I'd have to make a new plate or 2 but it was more the plate ripping than it going blind. When we made the switch to the LH-PJ's one pressman would need 4 yellow plates a day and the other night guy would go all night without issue. The plate wasn't going blind, it was calcium buildup and the day pressman didn't like the new plate. He would bitch about every little thing and refused to do what the fuji guys suggested.

After about a week of this I pointed out to him in private that the other guy is having no issues. We can't change back, they changed the emulsion and it's unusable on our equipment. Deal with the issues and make them work like the night guy or you may end up on the night shift or looking for work.

So run length shouldn't be an issue and we don't run UV inks. What about the random spots? Is anyone seeing them on their plates?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job