Kodak Achieve CTP

Started by DCurry, April 03, 2014, 08:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Just found out we're replacing our old manual-feed Trendsetter with a brand-new autoload Kodak Achieve. These are brand new - anyone seen them or used one or heard anything? It's got a pretty small footprint, especially considering has the autoloader. I think we're switching to the Sonora plate, too, but I'm not certain.

I've never even heard of the Achieve til yesterday. Nice to be in a shop that buys new stuff! Apparently the service contract with Kodak was pretty reasonable, too (not usually the case with them!)

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on April 03, 2014, 08:26:23 PMJust found out we're replacing our old manual-feed Trendsetter with a brand-new autoload Kodak Achieve. These are brand new - anyone seen them or used one or heard anything? It's got a pretty small footprint, especially considering has the autoloader. I think we're switching to the Sonora plate, too, but I'm not certain.

I've never even heard of the Achieve til yesterday. Nice to be in a shop that buys new stuff! Apparently the service contract with Kodak was pretty reasonable, too (not usually the case with them!)

Probably giving a good upfront cost on support to get people buying the new hardware than sticking it you know where on the next go around. But good luck with it. As much as Kodak the company irks me they do have good products.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Quote from: Joe on April 03, 2014, 09:28:59 PMProbably giving a good upfront cost on support to get people buying the new hardware than sticking it you know where on the next go around.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DCurry

Well, she's up and running. All in all, a very smooth and easy transition. The Achieve seems to be "over-engineered" in that there's a huge table that lowers with the plate upon exit, then feeds it to the stacker (which is also over-engineered compared to others I've used.) So far, the worst part is removing the slipsheets when loading a stack of plates. Sucks, but better than manually feeding our old Trendsetter.

SpicyVindaloo

Sounds like our Trendsetter 800 III Quantum. It lowers the plate and feeds it into our processor and then the stacker is after that. We'll probably be going to the Sonoran plate sometime and can finally get rid of the processor.
It's pretty solid until it hits a slip sheet that didn't get pulled.

DCurry

Quote from: SpicyVindaloo on June 05, 2014, 10:20:11 AMIt's pretty solid until it hits a slip sheet that didn't get pulled.

Had that happen on the first day! Also had it error out saying the plate size was too large (around the drum), but in reality nothing was wrong. Still not sure what that was about - wasted a plate for no good reason.

I don't really understand why it has that huge table that raises and lowers - I've used a Lotem and a Screen that both spit straight out the back onto a conveyor, which seems much simpler.

Slappy

Quote from: DCurry on June 03, 2014, 02:09:23 PMSo far, the worst part is removing the slipsheets when loading a stack of plates. Sucks, but better than manually feeding our old Trendsetter.
Do you mean the first/last slipsheets in a stack, or ALL of them? That would seem counterproductive.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DCurry

All of them. I used to run a Lotem 400 with an autoload that removed the slipsheets, but when things went wrong it was usually with the slipsheet removal system.

I'm also finding some of the plates are dented when I open the box (not by me), and they are not sandwiched in cardboard so the very topmost plate has some weird residue or something on it that doesn't wash off on press, so we'll have to make sure we get credit for that one plate from each box(doesn't sound like much, but it adds up over time!)

Farabomb

That's Kodak quality for ya.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

I'm starting to think the Kodak engineers are not very bright. The first plate I imaged this morning had a very poor image quality compared to normal. The guys from Kodak happened to be there today, and determined that the bay that holds the plates is not light-tight. Since we are using a chem-free plate, they are more sensitive to light and the topmost plate was rendered useless after the weekend.

The main culplrit in the light leak is an indicator lamp on either top corner of the device - depending on what color it glows tells you if it's imaging, needs, attention, or is out of plates. Basically it is a clear window on each corner.

Now, it seems to me that since Kodak engineered both the machine and the plate, they would take something like this into consideration. Their solution? They're going to provide some sort of black curtain with magnets to hold it in place. We can drape it over the machine for the weekends. We could leave it on all the time until it is time to load a new box of plates, but then we won't be able to monitor the lights to see if everything is operating correctly.

Other options were to take all the plates out for the weekend (not a good idea), or to turn the lights off in the room. Also not a good idea because there are other things that the room is used for.

Joe

It is actually brilliant on Kodak's part. The more ruined plates the more they sell.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

...except that they usually can't keep them in inventory and run you short.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

David

well, they are in high demand...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca