Working with Font Explorer

Started by jezza, September 09, 2007, 01:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youston

Quote from: gnubler on April 22, 2009, 04:25:34 PMI installed it on XP and didn't see weirdness. I haven't loaded any fonts into it yet because I have tons of sets in Suitcase (for client jobs) and haven't had time. I'll diddle with it tomorrow.

Ok, off I go to make my 5,000th post.

Please let me know how that works out for you. You're not the ONLY windoze sufferer here. Well, I'm 83.7774% of one (just a vague guess).

delooch

hmm.. works fine at home. of course it wont work on the pc i need it on.

gnubler

K, I'm diddling with FEX on Windows XP right now. So far, so good. Except for the auto activate plugins - getting an error (see screenshot). I'm going to use FEX instead of Suitcase for the next few days and see how it goes.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 05, 2009, 04:08:26 PMK, I'm diddling with FEX on Windows XP right now. So far, so good. Except for the auto activate plugins - getting an error (see screenshot). I'm going to use FEX instead of Suitcase for the next few days and see how it goes.

Do you have Illy and ID CS or CS2? It appears that FEX thinks you have Illy CS and CS2 and ID CS2 but not ID CS but the path to Illy CS is obviously wrong.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

I have CS. When I click the "Install" button for Indy or Illy CS, I get the error and it won't install.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Here's something else. We all share font files from a main server (only have basic fonts in Windows system folder). Every time I import a font from the server I'm getting this popup message and I'm not seeing a way to turn it off in Prefs. I just keep clicking "No" because I don't want the server fonts copied over to my local HD.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on May 05, 2009, 04:32:25 PM
Quote from: gnubler on May 05, 2009, 04:08:26 PMK, I'm diddling with FEX on Windows XP right now. So far, so good. Except for the auto activate plugins - getting an error (see screenshot). I'm going to use FEX instead of Suitcase for the next few days and see how it goes.

Do you have Illy and ID CS or CS2? It appears that FEX thinks you have Illy CS and CS2 and ID CS2 but not ID CS but the path to Illy CS is obviously wrong.

Something is screwy because now the plugin files for CS that were in the Linotype/Plugins folder are no longer there, nor are they in the appropriate Adobe folders. They appear to have vanished after I attempted to install them in FEX. Windows sucks.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 05, 2009, 04:45:48 PMI have CS. When I click the "Install" button for Indy or Illy CS, I get the error and it won't install.

The only entry in that screen shot for Indy is Indy CS2 and it says it is not found. The path for Illy is not correct as it says it is located in C:\Program Files\Linotype Font Explorer X\Plugins\. I think you'll need to get those entries corrected before they will install.

I would also highly recommend letting FEX copy the fonts from the server to your local drive. You'll have nothing but trouble if you try to use them from the server. In fact on my FEX for Mac you are not even given the option.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 05, 2009, 05:03:55 PM
Quote from: Joe on May 05, 2009, 04:32:25 PM

Something is screwy because now the plugin files for CS that were in the Linotype/Plugins folder are no longer there, nor are they in the appropriate Adobe folders. They appear to have vanished after I attempted to install them in FEX. Windows sucks.

The plugin path that you see in the plugin manager is the path to application plugin folder like Indy or Illy. If you do have an entry for Indy CS double click the path line and then navigate to your Indy Plugins folder so FEX knows where to put the plugin.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on May 05, 2009, 05:07:32 PM
Quote from: gnubler on May 05, 2009, 04:45:48 PMI have CS. When I click the "Install" button for Indy or Illy CS, I get the error and it won't install.

I would also highly recommend letting FEX copy the fonts from the server to your local drive. You'll have nothing but trouble if you try to use them from the server. In fact on my FEX for Mac you are not even given the option.

I understand that and it struck me as odd when I first started working here because I've always installed fonts locally. Everyone in my department runs fonts off the server - we all use Suitcase. Never really have any font issues at all.

gnubler

The only entry in that screen shot for Indy is Indy CS2 and it says it is not found. The path for Illy is not correct as it says it is located in C:\Program Files\Linotype Font Explorer X\Plugins\. I think you'll need to get those entries corrected before they will install.

Before I started trying to manage/install the plugins both Indy and Illy CS were in my Plugin Manager (you can see Illy CS in my ss above). Now neither one is listed there and the actual plugin file is nowhere to  be found (they were in the Linotype/Plugin folder). Oh well. Not that big of a deal.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 05, 2009, 05:15:49 PM

I understand that and it struck me as odd when I first started working here because I've always installed fonts locally. Everyone in my department runs fonts off the server - we all use Suitcase. Never really have any font issues at all.

What happens if you try to activate a font and the network share is not available? The Macs don't like it I can tell you that. I've threatened to bitch slap coworkers that try to activate fonts from the server. (We had Mac Suitcase users until recently when I switched them all to FEX. They can't open them from the server now! :evil: )

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 05, 2009, 05:19:56 PM

Before I started trying to manage/install the plugins both Indy and Illy CS were in my Plugin Manager (you can see Illy CS in my ss above). Now neither one is listed there and the actual plugin file is nowhere to  be found (they were in the Linotype/Plugin folder). Oh well. Not that big of a deal.

I think at this point I would uninstall it and re-install it. You should get everything back in the plugin list this way.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on May 05, 2009, 05:20:41 PMWhat happens if you try to activate a font and the network share is not available?

"It's never happened."  :laugh: Seriously, all our fonts are on the server and we don't have font issues.

Joe

This might fall under the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" umbrella. :laugh: