"Package for GoLive" (shudder)

Started by gnubler, February 14, 2008, 03:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

I gave this feature a try today for the first time ever (as an HTML purist it made me cringe). It crashed my InDesign three times. I tried it on another workstation here, same thing: crashed. But before it crashes it generates a folder with some files in it: a PDF of the layout, layout.xml (0Kb), root.xml (3Kb), story_6457.incd (0Kb), and an images folder. These files are useless to me; I expected an HTML file that I could clean up in a text editor, and an images folder.

The reason I'm experimenting with this is to turn a relatively simple classified ad page layed out in Indy into a webpage, complete with images where they belong, styles, etc. Has anyone used this feature and should Indy be generating more files than what I've listed above? I'm poking around on the Adobe forums now for more info.

We're running XP SP2 and Adobe CS.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

almaink

CS3 Indy does a better job, although I've never had Indy crash while trying to export as XML. I've found just exporting as a PDF or svgz to still be the best option for converting for web tho.

OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

gnubler

I'm actually experimenting with creating XML tags in the InDesign layout - I think it might work for me. When I export the page as XML I end up with tagged text which I can then further edit in a text editor to convert to HTML. The only thing it's not doing is exporting the images, but there's not that many so I'll just manually place them.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I tried this on CS on the Mac. It didn't crash for me but it does not generate an HTML of the final page. The only HTML it makes is a job content listing and I see no use for it. The only thing it made for me that looked like the Indy page was the PDF it created which you can then open in Acrobat and save as HTML.

I'm sure the XML or SVGZ will work as well. There's always more than one way to skin a cat (or squirrel)...
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Huh. I just tried that - saving the PDF as HTML, and got good results. It even retains boldface fonts and paragraph breaks. Again, it's kicking out all the images (despite generating an images folder with downsampled JPGs) but I can just manually place them.