Using TIFF & EPS versus AI & PSD

Started by Laurens, November 28, 2007, 03:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beermonster

why place illy eps files? copy paste from illy to indy - as long as you're careful it is fine. then you dont have to worry about trapping the illy file either, as it is now an indy element. works a dream.
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Sparky

Quote from: beermonster on December 04, 2007, 02:42:57 AMwhy place illy eps files? copy paste from illy to indy - as long as you're careful it is fine. then you don't have to worry about trapping the illy file either, as it is now an indy element. works a dream.

When you copy paste from Illy to ID the paths now become editable paths in ID. It basically now becomes a layered drawing in ID, with all the same attributes as the original Illy file, but if you open the "Links" dialog Panel (PALLET TO YOU CS2 USERS) you will not see a link to the Illy file. depending on the complexity of the original file this may or may not be of an advantage.
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

beermonster

absolutely right sparky

thats the point - by pasting illy elements you've got rid of a potential issue with a link

we use this method all the time, especially if say (and this is packaging layouts remember) one design is an illy file and one is a pdf, and another is a indy file..

we'll copy paste the illy element so its now indy vectors - BUT we will be checking that strokes, traps, shadows etc etc are all correct.

then the pdf will be dropped in and the indy elements etc etc

this is where it falls down for us though

packaging stations often get rotated on pages - you have an illy or indy element with a drop shadow and rotate it 180 degrees and the shadow moves position.

easy enough to correct, but ya gotta watch so closely. this "feature" has bitten me twice, and it alone is a good argument for a pdf workflow (native files in - repro it - pdf out and straight into indy) - so there is a downside to it.

almaink

"you have an illy or indy element with a drop shadow and rotate it 180 degrees and the shadow moves position." One of my only gripes with Indy, and not fixed in CS3 either.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

jezza

In Illy use the Drop Shadow Command under the Effect - Stylise - CS2 here Drop shadow, it works differently from the command under Filter.

If you draw a square box and rotate it the shadow will point in the correct direction and stay 'stuck' to the sides it was originally applied to.

As opposed to rotating with the shape when using the drop shadow command under the Filter menu. CS2 Here
one sick prepress mofo

beermonster

it may well do - sadly i cant stand over the shoulders of the desighners to make sure they do it that way....not that i'd want to anyway - not the mood i'm in today - i'd probably have a rage and pick them up and throw them outta the window or summat like that

jezza

Yeah, but you only have to throw one out the window to set an example  ;D

Hope that helps.
one sick prepress mofo