learning preps

Started by hotmetal, November 05, 2008, 08:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LRob

Quote from: Joe on November 06, 2008, 11:51:52 AM
Quote from: hotmetal on November 06, 2008, 07:52:31 AMOk, cause now I'm really pissed, I'm going to give it another shot. There's a manual or two and maybe even a tutorial hidden around here someplace. They keep yammering about having the one copy mounted on the server so everyone can, um, "use" it, but I don't believe anyone ever actually figured that one out. Maybe I'll force that issue. I hate having to use the day guys Mac, it's always wacked out with permissions problems and shit, yet another reason I threw up my hands in agony and gave up on this pointless exercise of futility in self-learning of Preps a couple years ago.

Hey HM, if you don't want to use his computer than just copy the Preps folder to your computer and then borrow the dongle from his computer when you need to run it on your machine. You'll probably need to modify the preferences once you have it running on your machine. I agree with tapdn though, I've never seen a server install that everyone can run other than having a site wide dongle but each computer would still need to have Preps installed on it.
We have the server version. It works well. Don't have to play "pass the dongle" anymore. We have a 3 user lic. and if 3 people are using it you just yell "Get off the damn Preps" and bam you got Preps on your mac (or pc ). You have 1 dongle and it plugs into the back of the server. The nice thing about it is all of your and everybody else's templets are in one place. If you need to pickup something somebody else did, it's right there.

hotmetal

Quote from: LRob on November 07, 2008, 05:58:52 AMWe have the server version. It works well. Don't have to play "pass the dongle" anymore. We have a 3 user lic. and if 3 people are using it you just yell "Get off the damn Preps" and bam you got Preps on your mac (or pc ). You have 1 dongle and it plugs into the back of the server. The nice thing about it is all of your and everybody else's templets are in one place. If you need to pickup something somebody else did, it's right there.

That predicates people naming things in a rational, consistent manner and saving them in places others might think to look. Or on drives others have access to. My workplace has not been gifted with that luxury. But I digress...
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

LRob

Quote from: hotmetal on November 07, 2008, 09:05:39 AM
Quote from: LRob on November 07, 2008, 05:58:52 AMWe have the server version. It works well. Don't have to play "pass the dongle" anymore. We have a 3 user lic. and if 3 people are using it you just yell "Get off the damn Preps" and bam you got Preps on your mac (or pc ). You have 1 dongle and it plugs into the back of the server. The nice thing about it is all of your and everybody else's templets are in one place. If you need to pickup something somebody else did, it's right there.

That predicates people naming things in a rational, consistent manner and saving them in places others might think to look. Or on drives others have access to. My workplace has not been gifted with that luxury. But I digress...
work smarter not harder.. That what I say :grin:

Joe

Quote from: LRob on November 07, 2008, 05:58:52 AM
Quote from: Joe on November 06, 2008, 11:51:52 AM
Quote from: hotmetal on November 06, 2008, 07:52:31 AMOk, cause now I'm really pissed, I'm going to give it another shot. There's a manual or two and maybe even a tutorial hidden around here someplace. They keep yammering about having the one copy mounted on the server so everyone can, um, "use" it, but I don't believe anyone ever actually figured that one out. Maybe I'll force that issue. I hate having to use the day guys Mac, it's always wacked out with permissions problems and shit, yet another reason I threw up my hands in agony and gave up on this pointless exercise of futility in self-learning of Preps a couple years ago.

Hey HM, if you don't want to use his computer than just copy the Preps folder to your computer and then borrow the dongle from his computer when you need to run it on your machine. You'll probably need to modify the preferences once you have it running on your machine. I agree with tapdn though, I've never seen a server install that everyone can run other than having a site wide dongle but each computer would still need to have Preps installed on it.
We have the server version. It works well. Don't have to play "pass the dongle" anymore. We have a 3 user lic. and if 3 people are using it you just yell "Get off the damn Preps" and bam you got Preps on your mac (or pc ). You have 1 dongle and it plugs into the back of the server. The nice thing about it is all of your and everybody else's templets are in one place. If you need to pickup something somebody else did, it's right there.

Thanks, Kodak just explained that to us yesterday and told us we should trade in our 2 static licenses for the network variety (if we get Prinergy). I kind of dread doing it because I can guarantee I have TWO co-workers that will never shut the program down on their machine and it's going to PISS me off if/when it happens over and over and over! (/preemptiverant)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

tapdn

Wouldn't do for our workflow either. We have four Preps workstations and today, for instance, we have them all running- two on a couple of our own Pubs and the other two on commercial jobs.
Organization and procedure IS the key!
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

LRob

How would that not work? Everything is in one spot, organized. Plus I think you can get up to a 5 user lic.

Joe

We have all of out templates and marks on the server with both Preps machines using them. My problem is with co-workers that will refuse to shut theirs down when they are done imposing a job. I can guarantee it's going to raise my blood pressure before it even starts. Now if Kodak would let us trade out 2 for the 5 user one at no extra cost I'm okay with it. :evil:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

chris_r

the floating 4-user license we have is kick ass.

tapdn

Quote from: LRob on November 07, 2008, 11:52:55 AMHow would that not work? Everything is in one spot, organized. Plus I think you can get up to a 5 user lic.
Works for us because 90% of our work fits a set of templates that are located on each workstation hard drive. If a template needs modified an advanced user makes the changes and the new template is copied and replaces the old template. Operators are not allowed to make changes to templates. We have a customized config profile and printers that all use.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

LRob

Quote from: tapdn on November 07, 2008, 12:41:14 PM
Quote from: LRob on November 07, 2008, 11:52:55 AMHow would that not work? Everything is in one spot, organized. Plus I think you can get up to a 5 user lic.
Works for us because 90% of our work fits a set of templates that are located on each workstation hard drive. If a template needs modified an advanced user makes the changes and the new template is copied and replaces the old template. Operators are not allowed to make changes to templates. We have a customized config profile and printers that all use.

Sounds like it would work perfect for you. You have the "advanced user" be incharge of the server and all templets will be there. You don't have to make a change to the templet and place it on every workstation. He or She just makes one change and done.

DCurry

Quote from: LRob on November 07, 2008, 06:08:19 PMYou don't have to make a change to the templet and place it on every workstation. He or She just makes one change and done.

We have 2 dongles (only 2 operators), and we set up a dedicated volume on our server to hold all the marks and templates, so Preps on each machine is directed to look on the server for templates and marks, so no local copies are required.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

youston

Sorry to resurrect this old thing, but does anyone have a pdf of the Preps v5.3 manual that they'd be willing to send me?

PM me for an e-mail address.

Thanks!

DigiCorn

i think i have one. pm on the way.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

if you want to brave sendspace, here's the link (and for anyone else who needs it) --> http://www.sendspace.com/file/cyka93
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

frailer

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 26, 2012, 02:03:48 PMif you want to brave sendspace, here's the link (and for anyone else who needs it) --> http://www.sendspace.com/file/cyka93

Had to send file to customer yesterday. Was apologising in advance.    :laugh:   Maybe I'll try kicksend again.   :undecided:

And this thread's a bit spooky. '08, hotmetal and tap, foot to the floor, PREP'n.    :shocked:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.