Preps 6: Finally diving in...

Started by Joe, February 09, 2012, 11:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on February 10, 2012, 01:13:30 PM
Quote from: t-pat on February 10, 2012, 01:08:08 PMre: smart marks - I don't apply them to the sheet, I make imposition and apply to it, gives me a little more fine control and I get skeered of things that are too automated sometimes. Anywho, here's the 2 that I use the most. I also have other groups I put special marks in, like collating marks, special takeoff bars, text marks.

These 2 groups apply to most work though. One for single sided (w&t, w&f, single sided) and one for 2 sided (sheetwise or perfecting)

As long as I stick with templates I'll just have the marks in the template as well. The problem with adding them to the sheets is you'll end up with a zillion different sheets.

Yes, that's what we do.
We do wind up with a fuckload of stock sizes, but can't be helped. We get paper supplied by people that sheet it to bastard sizes. Wish you could group the Stocks like you can Templates but I'm a dope at xml.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

For the interim, I save every template for every job. This way if I put custom take off bars, or changed something I have it to refer back to. Later, I may just use the master templates I've created, as I get more and more used to how Preps 6 does things and get more comfortable in making adjustments on the fly. This is how I organize old templates so that I can minimize the amount of scrolling I do:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 10, 2012, 02:53:04 PMFor the interim, I save every template for every job. This way if I put custom take off bars, or changed something I have it to refer back to. Later, I may just use the master templates I've created, as I get more and more used to how Preps 6 does things and get more comfortable in making adjustments on the fly. This is how I organize old templates so that I can minimize the amount of scrolling I do:

why not just refer back to the .job file in your previous job, no need to save a template for every freakin job, really? Grow a pair whydontcha lol.

If it's just a basic flat work step and repeat job it's so freakin easy to do from scratch and if you can't look at it and figure out what kinda takeoff it needs, you're doing it with your eyes closed.

edit: the .job file now contains EVERYTHING a template would have. We pick up old .job files and repopulate all the time, sometimes changing marks or head direction, all trivial now.
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

We run too many jobs, and I don't want to pull from archives every time.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

so fed up with Preps 6 and it's issues.

I've told marks NOT to go to front, yet they always appear on top. They don't preview properly, so I can't see them in the work until it RIPs, and I don't always catch it. Also, now, we're getting like an .01% reduction in image size when output to the platesetter.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

and yet it is still a huge improvement over 5.x - at least you GET a preview!
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on May 15, 2012, 10:10:04 AMand yet it is still a huge improvement over 5.x - at least you GET a preview!
I know. It's a fucking conundrum.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

hmm you're getting a reduction? Strange. Not sure I could even measure that small of a reduction but are you using web growth or something like that in your preps?

On the marks going to the front, you have edited your smart marks individually to turn off bring to front? Mine work.
vdp donkey

Joe

Yeah, how can you even measure a .01% reduction to know you are getting it?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

That's an estimate. A job stripped 17" will measure just slightly under 17" on plate.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Maybe Preps 5 was enlarging it .01%. :tongue:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

very strange. Still don' know how you're measuring it, I don't have a ruler that goes to 256ths of an inch, nor would I really care about it! Something to ask Kodak about though, they might have some answer.
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on May 15, 2012, 10:39:22 AMvery strange. Still don' know how you're measuring it, I don't have a ruler that goes to 256ths of an inch, nor would I really care about it! Something to ask Kodak about though, they might have some answer.
again, it's an estimate. smart ass.

if you look at the scale, it's clearly just under the tick for the measurement... but not by much (not like 1/32")
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

David

Maybe your ruler is off.
We have our rulers certified. If they are not certified, they have to have a sticker on them that the ruler is "for reference only".
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

10,000 comedians in the world are starving, and you try to be funny.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway