Serious help needed

Started by jimking, February 28, 2013, 03:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

Yes, preps 5.3.3 and Apogee v 1.27.11------oldies

DigitalCrapShoveler

Damn, that is an old version of X. You don't even the APPE rip. Poor bastard. Here...  :banana: :banana: :banana:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: jimking on March 01, 2013, 03:28:15 PMYes, preps 5.3.3 and Apogee v 1.27.11------oldies

Should be able to do it then unless somehow Apogee is preventing it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jimking

Quote from: t-pat on March 01, 2013, 03:25:38 PMif you have a template with a 16 page layout, and you add your pages to the run list, you should be able to right click on the template and "auto-select" - it will keep adding sigs until it runs out of pages.
Its a bit different on my end with this configuration. In order to choose the template I select the PJTF module and in the dialog box it is here I locate the PFTF file generated from the template in the PJTF folder located in the Preps folder. I can only choose it once and no right click allowed.

Joe

I have no idea what you just said. :laugh:

t-pat

Quote from: jimking on March 01, 2013, 03:44:30 PM
Quote from: t-pat on March 01, 2013, 03:25:38 PMif you have a template with a 16 page layout, and you add your pages to the run list, you should be able to right click on the template and "auto-select" - it will keep adding sigs until it runs out of pages.
Its a bit different on my end with this configuration. In order to choose the template I select the PJTF module and in the dialog box it is here I locate the PFTF file generated from the template in the PJTF folder located in the Preps folder. I can only choose it once and no right click allowed.

sorry I meant "in preps" - before you write the pjtf. You have a .tpl file with one 16 pager, and preps will auto select sigs until it runs out of pages. Rarely used feature, still works in 6, I actually just did it today to impose a variable data job to fold, slit, and nest, then re-wrote it to an imposed pdf. Not sure if this works for you with your workflow though, but if you're making a pjtf  it might. I can't even remember where "auto select" was in Preps 5, might have been a button. Ahh memories!

It looks like this in 6. It won't look like this in 5, sorry but I don't even have 5 installed anymore.

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

Does that help? :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on March 01, 2013, 03:50:06 PMIt looks like this in 6. It won't look like this in 5, sorry but I don't even have 5 installed anymore.
same here. that's how you save your templates? Seems confusing. I do mine by press sheet size...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 01, 2013, 04:40:47 PM
Quote from: t-pat on March 01, 2013, 03:50:06 PMIt looks like this in 6. It won't look like this in 5, sorry but I don't even have 5 installed anymore.
same here. that's how you save your templates? Seems confusing. I do mine by press sheet size...
why even have those ss templates when you can use folding patterns  :huh:
vdp donkey

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on March 01, 2013, 04:43:44 PM

Can't use folding patterns for our web templates.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on March 01, 2013, 04:44:51 PMCan't use folding patterns for our web templates.

curious, why? They're media and sheet independent. As well as trim size independent.
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on March 01, 2013, 04:43:44 PM
I never had any Preps 6 training. I didn't know how to use them  :laugh:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 01, 2013, 04:47:33 PM
I never had any Preps 6 training. I didn't know how to use them  :laugh:
[/quote]

I haven't NOT used them for 2 years now, anytime you want the lowdown, just ask. It's pretty cool.
vdp donkey

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on March 01, 2013, 04:47:30 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 01, 2013, 04:44:51 PMCan't use folding patterns for our web templates.

curious, why? They're media and sheet independent. As well as trim size independent.

Maybe I'm not understanding folding patterns. How would I go about making #1 a folding pattern?

#2 with a dinky?

t-pat

1. populate your "pages" list (this tells preps what size the pages are)
2. Specify your sheet size and work style
3. drag "JDF-F64-1' or "JDF-F64-2" to the sheet
4. Fuck around with the panel on the right side - specifically "fold flip", "fold rotation" "bind edge" and the trim settings right below there to get it where you like it, as far as gutters and face trims - this may get you there. From there you can "save as" folding pattern.

_OR_

go to Resources/Fold Patterns and scrounge around in there (either the MBO or JDF ones will likely have what you need) for something that is paginated how you want it, modify it to suit, save.

_OR_ roll your own completely and "save as fold pattern" - You will likely need some Kodak hand holding on this, I haven't really had to do any of this because the canned JDF folding patterns basically work for me. I haven't had a lot of luck making my own, but honestly have not really tried.

What we did when adopting these was print out the canned JDF folding patterns, give them to bindery, and say "pick the ones you like, give us folding mockups of them, and give them back to us with the JDF number." They did, we use them, nobody bitches.

It's a steep learning curve. Once you get it, you'll instantly hide your old template library from Preps' path (which will make it waaaay faster finding templates in there) and not look back, ever.

I have NO flatwork templates saved.

I have NO saddle stitched templates saved that I ever use anymore, except a few bastards for a perfed book we do regularly

The beauty is, that using a folding pattern it does not care what size the piece is, does not care what size the sheet is.

I'd say, before doing something adventurous like special 64 pagers, get comfortable with a 16 pager. I recommend any of the JDF-F[X]-7 folding patterns, we use these:

JDF-F4-2 (4 page half fold)
JDF-F8-7 (8 page box fold)
JDF-F12-7 (12 page accordian)
JDF-F16-7 (16 page right angle, standard 16 pager)
JDF-F16-11 (16 pg accordian)
JDF-F-24-8 (24 page accordian)
JDF-F32-7 (whatevz)

Some tips:

Dragging the same folding pattern on the same sheet twice will continue pagination (drag an 8 and another 8 on there, you get 16 pages unique)
COPY and PASTE the same folding pattern once it's on the sheet, gives you 2 up of the same 8 pager.
ALWAYS put in your head, foot, face trims, and your back and/or front lip dimensions.
Feel free to experiment with the fold flip, bind edge, rotation, and all that weird stuff on the right panel (this only lights up when you have a fold pattern on your sheet and you select it)

vdp donkey