Preps 7: vignettes not imposing properly

Started by DPSprint, May 28, 2017, 07:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPSprint

hey all, never actually started a topic before so here goes!

I get the occasional issue with some parts of pdf files not imposing correctly in preps: they step fine, but some vignettes seem to change on the output pdf file. I fix the file by ps the files via distiller and then they work fine. But this has bugged me before and I wonder why it is?
Using Preps 7, Mac 10.10.5
Last time this happened on a large header (the whole vignette from green to blue had sorta shifted across the whole stepped file, like it wasnt 'contained' within its frame on its own page?) and we could spot it on the digital press proof but this one is actually really small and only the client found it (luckily on the press proof as well).
pic 1; on the left side see the pointer to the product, the right side one has vanished (actually it is still there according to pitstop and even has color etc in it, pic 2)
What would be the reason? At a guess the client has definately used some sort of transparency that is causing the problem but what is it and how do we stop it from happening (without having to ps every file we get)?

DPSprint

drats and then I get it wrong!
correct pic 1 attached to this one

Joe

Not really sure without seeing the original PDF. What kind of RIP are you using in conjunction with Preps 7?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DPSprint

Not quite sure, how would I find that out? as in where in preps?
The pics attached in the original post are from the pdf out of preps (well i resaved as jpg for here), before it gets sent to any press.

and attached here is the original pdf

Joe

I mean what kind of workflow software are you using? Or are you just making an imposed PDF from Preps and then sending it where?

DPSprint

Quote from: Joe on May 29, 2017, 04:00:49 PMI mean what kind of workflow software are you using? Or are you just making an imposed PDF from Preps and then sending it where?
no workflow software here, Preps pdf sent to either indigo press or platesetter using very old RIPmate software

Farabomb

Well, since you said very old RIPmate I'd have to point at that first. I highly doubt it's a APPE workflow and from the nightmares I remember, old RIPs handle transparency and vignettes horribly. That's why going in and flattening them fixes the issue. Other than updating your workflow I think you're stuck doing it manually.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

OK I am a little confused here. The first imposed file you sent in post #1 was test.pdf. It shows the application that created it was InDesign. Not Preps.

The last PDF you sent was test 3.pdf. It also shows the application that created it was InDesign and the PDF Producer was Acrobat Distiller which I assume means you created a postscript file and distilled it to a PDF. When I place that file into Preps 7.5 and make an imposed PDF I think it looks fine. You can verify that. See attached.

So I guess my confusion is if the original file is something you create or supplied by a customer? Is it a ps/distilled pdf or one directly exported from InDesign? And If you place that PDF (test 3.pdf) into your Preps 7 and make a new imposed PDF is that resulting PDF one where the dots are changed?

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on May 30, 2017, 06:44:26 AMWell, since you said very old RIPmate I'd have to point at that first. I highly doubt it's a APPE workflow and from the nightmares I remember, old RIPs handle transparency and vignettes horribly. That's why going in and flattening them fixes the issue. Other than updating your workflow I think you're stuck doing it manually.

I could be wrong but I think the PDF from Preps is the problem before it ever gets to RIPmate. But if it is happening when it goes through RIPmate instead of the PDF out of Preps then I 100% agree with this.

Farabomb

I would like to know as well seeing as I output PDFs for production out of preps all the time and I've never seen this. I may have to start watching out.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DPSprint

Quote from: Joe on May 30, 2017, 06:50:15 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on May 30, 2017, 06:44:26 AMWell, since you said very old RIPmate I'd have to point at that first. I highly doubt it's a APPE workflow and from the nightmares I remember, old RIPs handle transparency and vignettes horribly. That's why going in and flattening them fixes the issue. Other than updating your workflow I think you're stuck doing it manually.
I could be wrong but I think the PDF from Preps is the problem before it ever gets to RIPmate. But if it is happening when it goes through RIPmate instead of the PDF out of Preps then I 100% agree with this.
LOL i seemed to have made it far too complicated...

Test 1 pdf I uploaded by mistake and then couldnt delete it from the original post: it was a test I did do in indesign to see if a manual impose would get the same result as the preps impose, it didnt.
test 2.jpg and test.jpg were just jpgs trying to show the issue.
test 3 is the original pdf supplied by the client (but just one page of it as the original file is too big).

and attached to this one is the file that preps output, using the test3.pdf unchanged.
(only one page of it, there are more pages doing the same thing).

...and these files are prior to sending any rip or press

and like I said originally, a ps through distiller fixes the original file so that preps doesnt do this weird thing, but I worry that I may miss files as i dont ps every file that comes through

DPSprint

Quote from: Joe on May 30, 2017, 06:47:31 AMSo I guess my confusion is if the original file is something you create or supplied by a customer? Is it a ps/distilled pdf or one directly exported from InDesign? And If you place that PDF (test 3.pdf) into your Preps 7 and make a new imposed PDF is that resulting PDF one where the dots are changed?
yeap bang on with that last comment

Joe

OK the test file I did and attached earlier was made using test 3.pdf and it looked fine out of Preps but that pdf (test 3.pdf) was made using distiller, ie...postscript ===>distiller===>PDF. So the fix was already done to test 3.pdf that you up-loaded earlier right? Can you send me the original test 3.pdf that was not postscripted and distilled so I can see if it does it in Preps for me? You can send it via mailbigfile.com and use my joe at b4print dot com email address.

DPSprint

yegads I am hopeless! yes I did attach the fixed file.

and the original file is too big to attach here (its 2.3 mb)
will send it via bigmail

Tracy

I see the line on the left is grey (in the circled area) and white on the right.
Is this the problem?