Google Killer or Google Pretender?

Started by Joe, May 18, 2009, 02:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Great idea, gay name. Google is kind of dorky and catchy... "Google it". I mean, "WolframAlpha it" just doesn't have that snap to it.  :sleepy:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

frailer

Quote from: Earendil on May 18, 2009, 03:10:53 PMGreat idea, gay name. Google is kind of dorky and catchy... "Google it". I mean, "WolframAlpha it" just doesn't have that snap to it.  :sleepy:

Yeah, but that would be "Wolf It!" in no time.    :laugh: 

This one caught my eye.

Quotecompute properties of a function of a complex variable (use the variable z)

Must work out something to throw at it.     :cheesy:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Agreed.  :laugh: "I dunno...go Wolframalphatize it."

Google already does pretty much everything they described - calculations, conversions, etc. I don't like monopolies and I think competition is good, but I don't see this as terribly useful.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Okay, good point. Wolf it is a little better.

I just went and threw a few things at it and it had no idea what to do with it. I do think it's cool but a different animal than google.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

How about Incompetent designer + Microsoft software = ????

The thing would probably blow a gasket! :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on May 18, 2009, 03:24:17 PMOkay, good point. Wolf it is a little better.

I just went and threw a few things at it and it had no idea what to do with it. I do think it's cool but a different animal than google.

Yeah, after looking a little closer it is different than google and I think it will take some time for them to amass the information to answer your queries.

gnubler

It doesn't work. I asked it what Earendil's pant size is and it gave me the population of Arendal, Norway.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Earendil%27s+pant+size
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: gnubler on July 27, 2010, 12:53:19 PMIt doesn't work. I asked it what Earendil's pant size is and it gave me the population of Arendal, Norway.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Earendil%27s+pant+size

oh come now. You can't give it the impossible to figure and then expect results..  There are no negative zero size pants for Sasquatches.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 27, 2010, 05:32:35 PMAnd NO PANTS for you sir.

I was afraid to search for "ninjaPB_43 no pants". NSFW, probably.

DigitalCrapShoveler

It makes me feel dirty knowing I spent time drawing that man with no pants. Someday, my darling squirrel I shall unleash the second issue. Someday.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

would that be the revised final final revised final second issue?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Are you kidding? I haver to finish it first... THEN all the revisions.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler