Do we have network issues?

Started by DigiCorn, March 09, 2012, 09:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Finished folder 13 - on to folder 14
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

This might sound elementary but did you go look at the properties of the ethernet card and actually verify that it says 1gb? Sometimes, even if you have a 1gb card and a 1gb switch, the driver will configure its self down as low as 10mps if it is set to auto, especially servers. Check the Mac as well and make sure ethernet is set to 1000 with full duplex. The switch probably isn't the problem.

One more silly question... cables... cat5, cat5e or cat6?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

Brand new cables - Cat 6

The mac is on port 12 (1000) and the NAS is on port 24 (1000). The server is on Port 23 (also 1000). Ports 23 and 24 are dedicated 1000 all the time, and cannot be throttled down (to my knowledge). Some of the devices you see at 100 are very old (a Fiery, our Solaris RIP, the old AIT server is at 100 (but that's not a factor because the AIT is extracting to the server first, then the files are moved from server to NAS).       

...picking up speed...                                                                     
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Strange. I would still go to each machine and just give the network prefs a look. Sometimes see weird stuff that can open a bottleneck.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 09, 2012, 02:35:42 PMI'd have to open and drag-and-drop several thousand folders to do this

That is why it is called work and a job. Get busy slacker!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

On this topic... I'm supposed to be archiving from here in to the new RAID5 server 'upstairs'. I am foregoing my DVD archiving :slightlyscared:
Bear in mind we delve into archived files rarely, but there's always that one that someone 'desperately' needs.
This transfer, when it starts, will be over SMB (pretty sure, anyway). Initially I thought I might have to go into each job before transfer, and ZIP fonts folders. maybe I should test and try on a job before I bother. 
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Quote from: Greg_Firestone on March 09, 2012, 12:03:14 PM18,576 files  <--- that's the problem

It's faster to transfer a single large file versus an equivalent amount of small files. There are a lot more calculations and checks. Also, don't forget read/write time of the input drive and the destination drive.

Greg

So should he carve into chunks>ZIP? Or try and ZIP the lot. I'd imagine the ZIP'er would struggle on the lot...  :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 09, 2012, 07:38:46 PMOn this topic... I'm supposed to be archiving from here in to the new RAID5 server 'upstairs'. I am foregoing my DVD archiving :slightlyscared:
Bear in mind we delve into archived files rarely, but there's always that one that someone 'desperately' needs.
This transfer, when it starts, will be over SMB (pretty sure, anyway). Initially I thought I might have to go into each job before transfer, and ZIP fonts folders. maybe I should test and try on a job before I bother.

Definitely test before hand. Fonts will copy via SMB as long as they weren't put where they are via AFP, ie....if I copy a font from the Mac to a network drive using AFP and then I copy it from the server to anywhere else via SMB it will not be any good. If I copy it from the Mac to the server via SMB and then from the server to anywhere else via SMB it will be fine. I think. No guarantees though as fonts are evil.

Quote from: frailer on March 09, 2012, 07:42:15 PMSo should he carve into chunks>ZIP? Or try and ZIP the lot. I'd imagine the ZIP'er would struggle on the lot...  :undecided:

It's going to take a while to either zip that many files or copy that many files. I prefer to zip on the local drive then copy the zip. I also prefer not to use the Mac zipper unless I have to. Which I don't. I would zip them right on the Windows server using 7-Zip. That's just my preference though. I'm sure everyone has their own way.

DigiCorn

No way I'm zipping. Been burned before on archives that went corrupt and wouldn't uncompress. Fuck that!
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 09, 2012, 11:42:56 PMNo way I'm zipping. Been burned before on archives that went corrupt and wouldn't uncompress. Fuck that!

I've been burned on archiving every which way possible. If I worry about it I might as well quit archiving. It's just printing. No one dies if you can't retrieve a file.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on March 10, 2012, 12:11:48 AMI've been burned on archiving every which way possible. If I worry about it I might as well quit archiving. It's just printing. No one dies if you can't retrieve a file.

Damn, someone coulda told me!  Must have thought I was still an RN, where they can die.     :laugh:   My (very out of date) Registration I let lapse last year.  :relieved:

Greg_Firestone

Quote from: frailer on March 09, 2012, 07:42:15 PM
Quote from: Greg_Firestone on March 09, 2012, 12:03:14 PM18,576 files  <--- that's the problem

It's faster to transfer a single large file versus an equivalent amount of small files. There are a lot more calculations and checks. Also, don't forget read/write time of the input drive and the destination drive.

Greg

So should he carve into chunks>ZIP? Or try and ZIP the lot. I'd imagine the ZIP'er would struggle on the lot...  :undecided:

There's nut much you can do. Making ZIPs will take a long time (for the same reason). There's not really an easy solution except start it Friday at 6pm and come back Monday AM.

Greg

Farabomb

Karen's power tools on the windows side and set to run over the weekend.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job