Enfocus Pitstop 2020 - remove white lines from pdf file

Started by metlife, December 28, 2020, 02:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metlife

Hello,
I need help removing the white lines that appear in the pdf file (screen attached). For reasons of document confidentiality, I cannot say what the final product is. The pdf file is generated from ArtPro, it has layers and spot colors. The blue objects shown in the image are vector objects, PitStop shows that their colors are defined as DeviceN (composed of 3 colors). I have tried many ways, but I fail to remove these white lines so as not to disturb the structure of the pdf file and not lose quality. I have run out of ideas on how to get rid of this. I will be very grateful for any help on this topic.

Tracy

Joe

Adding to Tracy's question because they appear to be atomic regions caused by flattening but shouldn't print if that is what they are.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

they do appear to be the world famous "atomic regions".
They will not actually print, or, they don't show on the printed piece when done.
You should be ok, but you can always run a test print and check it out.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

metlife

They don't print, but guys from our production line stopped the printing process because they saw lines in the pdf file on the overnight shift and the urgent job has fallen out of the print queue and now we have a delay. In addition, the client sees these lines on the screen and he does not like that he sees them and no arguments reach him about the fact that these lines will not be printed. So we got a recommendation to do everything to prevent such "errors" from appearing in PDF files and now we have to stand on our head to prevent this from happening.

Joe

You can change a preference setting in Acrobat so they don't show up on the screen. Try turning off these 3 options one at a time. One of them will make the atomic regions disappear but I don't remember which one.

Joe

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

metlife

Joe, yes yes, I know these options and we wanted the Client to turn them on in Acrobat, but that's out of the question either. These people are quite annoying and they don't get any arguments. It's like talking to the wall. It would be nice if you could catch these objects in Pitstop and make one picture of them, which of course will keep the color information... but I can't force Pitstop to do that. This Blue Background is pretty complex and we can't simplify it more than it is right now.

Joe

Quote from: metlife on December 28, 2020, 02:05:34 PM
Hello,
I need help removing the white lines that appear in the pdf file (screen attached). For reasons of document confidentiality, I cannot say what the final product is. The pdf file is generated from ArtPro, it has layers and spot colors. The blue objects shown in the image are vector objects, PitStop shows that their colors are defined as DeviceN (composed of 3 colors). I have tried many ways, but I fail to remove these white lines so as not to disturb the structure of the pdf file and not lose quality. I have run out of ideas on how to get rid of this. I will be very grateful for any help on this topic.

OK you aren't making this easy on us. The blue objects in the image you posted...are you sure they are vector in the PDF? Usually these atomic regions appear because of things being transformed into bits of multiple raster images during the flattening. Pitstop does have a method of stitching raster images back into a single image but without seeing a sample PDF I have no idea if it would be possible in your case. Is it possible to make the PDF from Artpro and not flatten it?

metlife

Quote from: Joe on December 29, 2020, 09:50:23 AM
OK you aren't making this easy on us. The blue objects in the image you posted...are you sure they are vector in the PDF? Usually these atomic regions appear because of things being transformed into bits of multiple raster images during the flattening. Pitstop does have a method of stitching raster images back into a single image but without seeing a sample PDF I have no idea if it would be possible in your case. Is it possible to make the PDF from Artpro and not flatten it?

Ok, I'll see if I can remove everything from the file except these key elements, so as not to have the trouble of distributing confidential files. Then I'll send You this pdf file. Maybe You'll have an idea what to do with this issue.

abc

if they are vector it's unlikely they are atomic regions.
What happens if you zoom in/out, do they disappear?

Joe

Quote from: abc on January 04, 2021, 09:20:24 AM
if they are vector it's unlikely they are atomic regions.
What happens if you zoom in/out, do they disappear?

I suspect they were vector to start with but converted to image when flattened. Haven't seen a sample file to verify that though.

Donomo

In the rare instance that a client does not believe the atomic area's will not print, I have created a "Client Only" PDF. Rastering everything except the type, this usually fools them.

DCurry

I don't think flattening is going on here - if it were, I think we'd see a noticeable jump on either side of the line where one side is vector and the other side is the part that got flattened and rasterized.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!