Composite 2 multipage PDFs

Started by Dave79, February 20, 2022, 12:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pabney

If you modify Joes Pitstop script to also change the graphic to overprint, then place into a new Indesign layer using the multipage import, the resulting pdf should work, at least in my testing.

PDFTk will also do this using either the background, or stamp commands. You would still have to change the red pdf using pitstop, but the output pdf would be merged with the red one set to overprint. If you are on a mac a simple applescript could handle the PDFTk part, if you are not comfortable with command line.

Joe

OK I had an opportunity to "borrow" InDesign. Attached is a new Pitstop action to convert the red PDF to a spot red and set it to multiply. Run that on all pages on the Red PDF. Save the new PDF.

Then open InDesign but do not create a new document. Run the InDesign script I posted earlier and select the black PDF and make the settings look like this:

black.jpg

It will create a new document at the size specified above. In my case the media size of the black PDF. Once it has placed all of the black pages run it again and select the Red PDF and make the settings look like this:

red.jpg

For some reason when you place the Red PDF into InDesign the image still looks black instead of the spot magenta. Not sure why but when you output a new PDF it will be the right color though.

Here is the new merged PDF.

76611 K+Red printer test.pdf
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Dave79

Sorry to disappear from the thread for a while while you guys were kindly, and expertly, working on this. I just got hit with a ton of work (and in trouble for spending too much time on this ::)

Pitstop to the rescue again. Not cheap, but worth every penny in my opinion. I downloaded Joe's script and should have a chance to try it out today. Thanks so much guys. 

Dave79

Looks like Joe's solution worked great for me. However, rather than converting to magenta, I converted to the PMS Red our client specified. Everything looks correct in my Prinergy VPS files and with the proper inks.