Cleanup trim area in pitstop

Started by madbugger, August 10, 2022, 05:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbugger

I occasionally use the cleanup trim area in pitstop to fix up files that have all sorts of crap that I don't want on the pdf like bleed marks, registration marks, color bars, trim marks too close to trim etc.

There is the option of putting in new crop marks and you can select either quark trims or Indesign trims.

The Indesign trims by default are too close and the Quark ones are too far away. 

Is there any way to adjust how far from the trim box / bleed box that marks start/finish.

Ideally I like a final PDF to have a 10mm gutter all around between media box and trim box with a bleed box 3mm all round larger than trim box. I like my trims to start at edge of media box and extent inwards to the bleed box. (My OCD kicking in)

I can create these parameters from Indesign when exporting a pdf, but can't get what I would like from Pitstop.

Over to the Pitstop gurus. Thanks
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

Joe

So the action to add either InDesign or Quark marks will not let you change the position but if you create an action and use "add object" and make the object a line you can position it as shown here in this screen shot. A little more work up front to create all of the different crop/bleed marks you want but once the action is created it will just be one click moving forward. See attached for an example. You should have a sample action that came with Pitstop to "Add Printer Marks" you can use as an example to get started with.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 6.44.38 PM.jpg
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

madbugger

Thanks Joe, I'll have a fiddle around and see what I can come up with
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

— Ted Nugent

madbugger

Thanks Joe, got what I wanted in regards to trims  ;D

Now I just have to figure out how to add multiple global changes like (clean up trim area) to my new action (add trims)

Is this possible or do I just have to run multiple changes/actions to achieve all that I want?

Edit. Okay, worked it out:
Save global change as an action List
Export all action lIsts as single .eal files
Create new action List importing all the various .eal files required.

Thanks for your help Madbugger   
— Madbugger

— Ted Nugent

DCurry

Another way to stitch together actions is to create a QuickRun.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DCurry

You can also play an action as part of another action if you hit the Record button.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

DCurry you didn't mention Design Layout Panel, I think I learned this from you!

Pitstops Design layout Panell you can add actions also

DCurry

Hmmm, I don't even recall ever realizing that, but that should work, too!