Editing PDFs with illustrator Good or BAD?

Started by Exploded, April 11, 2008, 08:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

He'll be here as soon as the numbers climb between 500 and a thousand.  :laugh:

The Stevinator

not this thread again.....

YES ITS THE BEST AND CLEANEST OPTION.
SJM

Ear

Don't edit PDFs in Illy unless it's the ONLY option, IMO. :smiley: I can't even remember the last time I resorted to cracking a PDF in Illustrator.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Earendil on April 14, 2008, 02:38:17 PMDon't edit PDFs in Illy unless it's the ONLY option, IMO. :smiley: I can't even remember the last time I resorted to cracking a PDF in Illustrator.

nope me neither..  been months or even years.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: jimking on April 14, 2008, 01:51:38 PMHe'll be here as soon as the numbers climb between 500 and a thousand.  :laugh:

hilarious. :cheesy:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Ear

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on April 14, 2008, 03:12:10 PM
Quote from: Earendil on April 14, 2008, 02:38:17 PMDon't edit PDFs in Illy unless it's the ONLY option, IMO. :smiley: I can't even remember the last time I resorted to cracking a PDF in Illustrator.

The way of the ninja is known by many but understood by few.  :ninja:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on April 14, 2008, 03:12:10 PM

You'll both be receiving a Matty award.

(Come on Matt...come ouot of the closet)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

I heard Matt became the Pit Crew boss for Ricky Bobby's team, man I love stock cars!  :tongue:

tuff_gong

"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

agent_orange

Quote from: tuff_gong on April 11, 2008, 08:16:04 PMYou know where I see matt posting..............

The official Microsoft PUBLISHER forums.

It's true.
Holy mother of mackerel, you're right. I couldn't believe it so I went over there to check it out and it's true.
Here's a link. You have to scroll down a little....
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.publisher&tid=f3d8cbfb-c3fb-403b-bdbf-72a0d9ab710b&cat=en-us-office-publisher&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

Laurens

While we are waiting for one PDF master, the other one has spoken.

If anyone can tell me what can go wrong with images when you edit a PDF with Illustrator, that would be most useful. I am trying to make a 'digest' page of this thread and some other stuff on the web.
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

born2print

In my experience, it's dealing with fonts that are the main issue. Images changing could be an issue, but "usually is not"
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Joe

Quote from: Laurens on April 15, 2008, 03:07:22 PMWhile we are waiting for one PDF master, the other one has spoken.

If anyone can tell me what can go wrong with images when you edit a PDF with Illustrator, that would be most useful. I am trying to make a 'digest' page of this thread and some other stuff on the web.

Maybe, just maybe, if Adobe were to include some editing tools to Acrobat users would not be trying to edit PDF's with Illustrator? There really should be two separate Acrobat Professionals. One should be a prepress version with the tools we need to fix PDF's gone bad and then they can have the office version with all the fluff that we don't need in prepress. Heck, I'll use Text Editor if it will help me out.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Yeah, I'm with Born, fonts are the big issue although I have seen transparencies and overprints go sideways too. The latter are fairly easy to fix IF you spot them but the font problems can make for a miserable experience. Can't say I've seen many image problems although I can see potential if it's a PDF from Quark with OPI active, Illustrator is likely to see it as an ActiveX object and declare it missing.

Pit Stop isn't perfect but I use it all day and I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would use Illy to beat up on a PDF. Are you ready to be responsible for maintaining the integrity of every piece of art and text? Because if something falls apart the client will nail you on it. I got bit on this a couple times years ago and stopped doing it completely!

Joe, you're TOTALLY right! What is wrong with Adobe? Acrobat 8 is by far the biggest POS program I have the misfortune to not only use but rely on since I'm on a freakin PDF workflow! It takes forever to launch, crashes constantly and for all the bells and whistles, has NO useful tools for professionals. Acrobat "PRO"... psssht!

frailer

Just as experienced recently with a PhotoShop PDF, I'll now check "PDF Creator" as a matter of course, every time I open a PDF. [Doc Properties~flyout/top-right]. I'll weigh my options then, but at least knowing up-front that it may have come from Illy will be a good start. But then maybe most people here are doing that already.    :lipsrsealed:

As an aside..."Bubbe Meise" needs to become daily lingo here at b4p. Try and use it in a sentence if you can... :cheesy:
Also thought the responses at the end of the blog were particularly succint and relevant.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.