CS2 and CS3 PDF's

Started by almaink, May 14, 2008, 07:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

almaink

Got a 184 page perfect bound book in Indy CS3. All black text no graphics at all. I export to PDF and impose in CS2 as 32 page singatures. Try to export that as a PDF and it won't work. Get no real error just Failed to export to PDF. I can export to EPS and write a PS file. It also will export to PDF from CS3. It crashes CS(LOL) if I try it from there using the INX file. This is the first time I've ever seen this in CS2 I remember it happening in CS tho. I guess CS3 must do something odd to the PDF it exports but no idea WTF that could be. BTW I opened another job I did last week just to make sure it wasn't an application issue and it PDF'ed no problem. I also cleaned out the font caches and ran fsck -fy and optimized the PDF to a lower version. Just won't export to PDF from CS2 no matter WTF I try. I hate CS3, hope this doesn't become a constant issue.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

I know there is something definitely different with CS3 PDF's but I don't know what it is. Is imposing from CS3 not an option?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

EyeTech

Hi Almaink

how did you impose, manually or thru Preps or other imposition tool?

Since it's all just text have you checked for font embedding restrictions?

Will it PDF if you run 1 section at a time?
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

almaink

" Is imposing from CS3 not an option?"
Joe, thats what I did. The whole thing was already imposed ( I used a dummy 184 page PDF to do this) in CS2. So I opened that file in CS3 and it PDF'ed from there without issues.

EyeTech, no font restrictions and I tried one signature side at a time with no luck.
Even using the optimization from Acrobat to a lower version of PDF didn't help.
Just something about CS3 PDF's I guess.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

Joe

Quote from: almaink on May 14, 2008, 11:55:22 AM" Is imposing from CS3 not an option?"
Joe, thats what I did. The whole thing was already imposed ( I used a dummy 184 page PDF to do this) in CS2. So I opened that file in CS3 and it PDF'ed from there without issues.

Yeah, I've found PDF's from InDesign CS3 don't mix well together with almost any application earlier than the the CS3 suite. Want some real fun trying placing one in Quack 7.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

I had a third instance show up today where the PDF from CS3, when placed in a layout in CS2 and ripped and plated created little semi-circles in a couple lines of type.  Its not showing on my proof or on the Layout pdf from CS2..  but when flattened/rastered in RIP...   It is definitely CS3 causing this.  Im still trying to track down how to spot it, because I will NOT use CS3 for production, period. Biggest POS!!  ..but YAY, they only care about CS4 and all the monies they'll make forcing everyone to upgrade..  assholes.   :angry:

Edit: and the same font was used elsewhere on the piece and it went to plate fine. so its not the font.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

RiotMac

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on June 05, 2008, 10:43:55 AMI had a third instance show up today where the PDF from CS3, when placed in a layout in CS2 and ripped and plated created little semi-circles in a couple lines of type.  Its not showing on my proof or on the Layout pdf from CS2..  but when flattened/rastered in RIP...   It is definitely CS3 causing this.  Im still trying to track down how to spot it, because I will NOT use CS3 for production, period. Biggest POS!!  ..but YAY, they only care about CS4 and all the monies they'll make forcing everyone to upgrade..  assholes.   :angry:

Edit: and the same font was used elsewhere on the piece and it went to plate fine. so its not the font.

Just curious... why are placing the PDF from CS3 into a CS2 layout? Why not just keep it in CS3? Have you tested a final CS3 output to see if the problem still occurs?

beermonster

right - this might NOT be an option, due to file size - but

sometimes in cs3 (and 2) a file will just not run - when everything else is, on the face of it - perfect.

like i said, file size may be an issue, but, if your puter can hack it, embed the pdf's (in links pallet) and then export your pdf for imposing.

this has worked for us quite a few times - i cant explain why - i just accept it has - hope this helps :grin:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

almaink

"Just curious... why are placing the PDF from CS3 into a CS2 layout? Why not just keep it in CS3? Have you tested a final CS3 output to see if the problem still occurs?"

I don't like imposing in CS3. I hate the pallets, I hate the whole GUI in fact. Still can't use command h keyboard command to toggle frame edges either, no problem with it in CS2. Another issue CS3 has is the way Step and Replete now works, I know I can work around it, but I still don't like it. Plus if I use PDF FPO's from RAMPage, the OPI info gets stripped from the imposed PDF's, so RAMPage doesn't do the image replacements. I've sent test files to Adobe on this OPI issue but after 2 weeks still haven't heard anything. I only have 3 customers that use CS3 so it's not a real big issue, I just hope it is fixed in CS4.

OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: RiotMac on June 05, 2008, 02:29:51 PM
Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on June 05, 2008, 10:43:55 AMI had a third instance show up today where the PDF from CS3, when placed in a layout in CS2 and ripped and plated created little semi-circles in a couple lines of type.  Its not showing on my proof or on the Layout pdf from CS2..  but when flattened/rastered in RIP...   It is definitely CS3 causing this.  Im still trying to track down how to spot it, because I will NOT use CS3 for production, period. Biggest POS!!  ..but YAY, they only care about CS4 and all the monies they'll make forcing everyone to upgrade..  assholes.   :angry:

Just curious... why are placing the PDF from CS3 into a CS2 layout? Why not just keep it in CS3? Have you tested a final CS3 output to see if the problem still occurs?

I have had other problems, one after another when trying to just run CS3 pdf's straight through my RIP, using CS2 had it all solved except for this recent issue mentioned..  Im still trying to track the problem, but CS3 for production is just not an option because I dont trust it.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

frailer

Yeah, I know this is repetitive whinging, but I've paused in my labours to do it anyway.    :angry:

Here's my wrap on this afternoon's efforts. [Use a Chico Marx voice if reading this aloud, please].

-CS3 direct Export. RIP no like.
-CS3 PDFs Placed in CS2, and Exported. Rip-a-no like.
-anything PostScripted from either, and then Distilled, mmm...seems OK.

Well, we're supposed to be shedding .ps anytime soon now, and what is it currently? The only way to get jobs out in prepress.   :huh:

I guess I've posted a similar screenshot before, but here is one from this arvo. If it gives anyone a clue, please post. BTW, this is single pages dropped in, or through Dyna; no diff.

...and BTW2...our RIP is not ancient; just under 2 years and current, I believe. And I'm not about to be an early adopter with the APPE offering. Won't say too much, but I'm not jumping yet.    :lipsrsealed:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

ratintrap

Doesn't Adobe do beta testing to catch these kinds of problems before they release new software? :huh:

-Rat

almaink

Having beta tested a few different applications myself, from different software companies, I've never seen any of my suggestions used. It almost seems like they beta test just for the hell of it.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

RiotMac

Quote from: frailer on August 15, 2008, 12:25:54 AMYeah, I know this is repetitive whinging, but I've paused in my labours to do it anyway.    :angry:

Here's my wrap on this afternoon's efforts. [Use a Chico Marx voice if reading this aloud, please].

-CS3 direct Export. RIP no like.
-CS3 PDFs Placed in CS2, and Exported. Rip-a-no like.
-anything PostScripted from either, and then Distilled, mmm...seems OK.

Well, we're supposed to be shedding .ps anytime soon now, and what is it currently? The only way to get jobs out in prepress.   :huh:

I guess I've posted a similar screenshot before, but here is one from this arvo. If it gives anyone a clue, please post. BTW, this is single pages dropped in, or through Dyna; no diff.

...and BTW2...our RIP is not ancient; just under 2 years and current, I believe. And I'm not about to be an early adopter with the APPE offering. Won't say too much, but I'm not jumping yet.    :lipsrsealed:

Your RIP is kind of old. Two years ago PostScript or flattened PDF 1.3's were the norm. This is probably why only the PostScript to PDF method seems to be working with your RIP. We use the APPE for all jobs and have done so since last year with minimal problems. We always export to a PDF 1.4 (based off of the X-4 standard) from InDesign. The APPE handles this fine. So does the CPSI RIP for that matter. Out of Quark we still go the PS to PDF method.

Until you upgrade your RIP sounds like you should probably stick with PS to PDF.

ratintrap

Quote from: almaink on August 15, 2008, 06:40:19 AMHaving beta tested a few different applications myself, from different software companies, I've never seen any of my suggestions used. It almost seems like they beta test just for the hell of it.

:huh:

-Rat