CS2 and CS3 PDF's

Started by almaink, May 14, 2008, 07:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

frailer, the error message stating that "Unable to allocate requested 1310720 KBytes of memory" is telling me your RIP doesn't have enough memory to process this file. How much you got in the RIP.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Yeah, RiotMac,  just under two years in this biz is a millenium, really... :rolleyes:   Sounds like I should try Exporting to 1.3/X-4, and see what happens.
Shall certainly run a test on Monday.

And yes, Joe, that one's a bit obvious, isn't it. I've sent such a screenshot to Fuji, without any cogent comment. I think I'll try and ask more specific questions along those lines. Not confident enough to dig around in whatever settings at this stage of knowledge to try and reset it. A crashed RIP would not be nice.

Maybe one of them can walk me through it over the phone. Would you think, at a guess, that would be RAM allocation, or virtual?

...I meant Exporting to 1.4...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

LoganBlade

PDF1xa from export worked on my older Delta 7.5. I made tweeks to setting but started with the PDF1xa seeting in export.
"dyslexics have more fnu"

Joe

Quote from: frailer on August 15, 2008, 03:45:52 PMYeah, RiotMac,  just under two years in this biz is a millenium, really... :rolleyes:   Sounds like I should try Exporting to 1.3/X-4, and see what happens.
Shall certainly run a test on Monday.

And yes, Joe, that one's a bit obvious, isn't it. I've sent such a screenshot to Fuji, without any cogent comment. I think I'll try and ask more specific questions along those lines. Not confident enough to dig around in whatever settings at this stage of knowledge to try and reset it. A crashed RIP would not be nice.

Maybe one of them can walk me through it over the phone. Would you think, at a guess, that would be RAM allocation, or virtual?

...I meant Exporting to 1.4...

Can't say for the Fuji but on our RIP if it's virtual memory it gives us a "VM Error". My guess is not enough physical RAM. As others have stated it might very well be the RIP. RIP's are only "not old" for about 15 minutes of their existence. Have you guys applied periodic updates over the course of the two years? Esko-Artworks puts out updates regularly, about every 2 - 6 months and it's up to us (me) to keep it updated. I have to go download the updates and then install them myself. Not sure how Fuji in Oz might do this but the RIP's need their regular updates to stay current.

frailer

They've got some sort of regional "conference" this week, but believe me I'll be following this up to eliminate it from my enquiries.

Thanks for the nudge on this. As is the way with these things, could be as silly as $100 RAM chip, or, as you say, an update; although I've received some sort of assurance that it is up to date.

Won't stop me asking again, though.

The other concern is the "Trailer record does not contain ID".      :huh:     :huh:    Shall ask about that too.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Does the job fail at the "Trailer record does not contain ID" or is that the same job in your screen capture that continues on until 3:22:47 pm and then blows up at the "unable to allocate" message?

Does someone from Fuji come in and do updates periodically? Remotely? I know if my Nexus RIP had not had updates applied to it in the last two years it would choke on CS3 files. Our Nexus RIP runs on Windows 2003 Server (32 bit) and maxes out memory at 4 GB. The computer can have up to 64 GB but Windows won't see anything over 4 GB and you might be under this same limitation. I'd love to have more RAM in my Nexus boxes but I can't do it.

frailer

Yep, OK. I've got some homework to do.

What happens is that the job sits on "Active Interpret" [see RIP list at side of log window], and then shows a "Failed RIP" after about 2 mins.

I can call the server installers direct to answer the question on max. RAM. Shall certainly follow up the other stuff with Fujifilm.

frailer

Well, it's a mixed bag. Fujifilm person says many of their Celebrant users experiencing same probs. I have "up-to-date" RIP. Answer is APPE RIP, it seems. I'm determined to find a way around this that doesn't include .ps'ing before RIP, though that's a last resort.
I wonder if the answer may lie in Matt's suggestion about using Optimiser in 8. As in, open the CS3 Exported PDF in 8, and Optimise it to 7; [am assuming this can be done].
Take those PDF pages into Dyna, then RIP. Worth a look, on Monday. Weekend now... :grin:

Joe

Sweet...RIP vendor knows it's a problem but they aren't going to fix it in what you have now! :death: Pet peeve #1 in my book. You need to buy something new...which I bet ain't cheap. It's all a racket I tell ya.

PDF optimizer will change PDF version, like from 1.7 to 1.6 all the way down to 1.3 (which flattens). It might fix something along the way but really if you want a 1.4 from a 1.7 you could just export the PDF from Indy as a 1.4 in the first place but it's still goiing to be a CS3 PDF. I have little faith that PDF Optimizer is magically going to allow a CS3 PDF to RIP that wouldn't RIP before unless you force into 1.3 submission. Some of the biggest problems I've encountered with CS3 PDF's are some of the new fancy text gizmos. Inner Glow, outer glow, bevel, emboss, along with the smooth shading from CS3...RIP's tend to spit these back at you.

almaink

I've found that if the PDF was made in CS3 you had better rip it from CS3 or you may experience issues. I've had a few CS3 generated PDF's fail the rip when placed in InDesign CS2. They rip fine from CS3 tho. Even using PDF optimizer doesn't make these PDF's rip from CS2. And they all were Acrobat 7 PDF's too. No matter WTF Adobe says, they changed something in they way PDF's are handled in CS3, and IMO not for the better... Never had any issues with those effects tho Joe, and I've been seeing them used a lot lately, but then again after being screwed a few times with CS3 PDF's, I've changed my workflow.
I now export right from CS3 and run the PDF though RAMPage's PDF trap engine as single pages. I make FPO's from them and impose the FPO's in Indy CS2. So far so good...
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

Quote from: almaink on August 22, 2008, 12:58:35 PMI've found that if the PDF was made in CS3 you had better rip it from CS3 or you may experience issues. I've had a few CS3 generated PDF's fail the rip when placed in InDesign CS2. They rip fine from CS3 tho. Even using PDF optimizer doesn't make these PDF's rip from CS2. And they all were Acrobat 7 PDF's too. No matter WTF Adobe says, they changed something in they way PDF's are handled in CS3, and IMO not for the better... Never had any issues with those effects tho Joe, and I've been seeing them used a lot lately, but then again after being screwed a few times with CS3 PDF's, I've changed my workflow.
I now export right from CS3 and run the PDF though RAMPage's PDF trap engine as single pages. I make FPO's from them and impose the FPO's in Indy CS2. So far so good...

That's the odd part. I don't have issues with those most of the time. When I do have problems though it almost always has one or more of those effects applied.

frailer

OK, with that detail fleshed out, I won't be looking for any miracles.    :rolleyes:   

Looks like it's back to the philosophy of hotmetal's compadres: "...nothing stays unflattened around here for too long".     :sad:

mattbeals

PDF Optimizer actually *changes* the PDF. It doesn't just change the version flag.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Quote from: mattbeals on August 22, 2008, 07:31:18 PMPDF Optimizer actually *changes* the PDF. It doesn't just change the version flag.

Oh I agree it makes changes. I just haven't had any success with it fixing CS3 PDF's that won't RIP. What I have had great success with is using it to make "Quark compatible" PDF's.