News:

Main Menu

Freehand ?

Started by Chelle, January 15, 2009, 11:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 15, 2009, 12:33:14 PM
Quote from: Joe on January 15, 2009, 12:30:10 PMYes, but with anything else, we in prepress need to stay current on software.

Here is a link to the old free version if anyone needs it:

http://fex.linotype.com/download/mac/FontExplorerX123.dmg

Chelle, you can clean the font cache with FEX after you install it. Requires system reboot afterwards.

Tell that to my Jew boss.

:sad:  :cry:  :angry: Dude, hello? I'm African-American.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Chelle

Oh - I wondered if I unloaded the fonts in that Library folder if FEX would then take care of everything, BUT I have the FEX open and the fonts loaded in THAT (no I didn't unload the other folder yet), and I cleaned the caches, rebooted and WOOHOO! I just printed one thing out of FH and the fonts work. Thanks, Joe and DCS. I love you guys! :kiss:
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on January 15, 2009, 04:08:13 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 15, 2009, 12:33:14 PM
Quote from: Joe on January 15, 2009, 12:30:10 PMYes, but with anything else, we in prepress need to stay current on software.

Here is a link to the old free version if anyone needs it:

http://fex.linotype.com/download/mac/FontExplorerX123.dmg

Chelle, you can clean the font cache with FEX after you install it. Requires system reboot afterwards.

Tell that to my Jew boss.

:sad:  :cry:  :angry: Dude, hello? I'm African-American.
I don't believe he cares for coloreds.
Member #285 - Civilian

Chelle

Ah crap... Spoke too soon. Printed another file to check and that one DIDN'T work. Shoot. :cry:

Joe

Quote from: Chelle on January 15, 2009, 04:09:49 PMOh - I wondered if I unloaded the fonts in that Library folder if FEX would then take care of everything, BUT I have the FEX open and the fonts loaded in THAT (no I didn't unload the other folder yet), and I cleaned the caches, rebooted and WOOHOO! I just printed one thing out of FH and the fonts work. Thanks, Joe and DCS. I love you guys! :kiss:

Be careful what you unload from the system font folders. There are required fonts in there that if you remove them your Mac won't run. There is a list around here somewhere. Probably in the "Fonts" category.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Chelle

Quote from: Joe on January 15, 2009, 04:16:31 PM
Quote from: Chelle on January 15, 2009, 04:09:49 PMOh - I wondered if I unloaded the fonts in that Library folder if FEX would then take care of everything, BUT I have the FEX open and the fonts loaded in THAT (no I didn't unload the other folder yet), and I cleaned the caches, rebooted and WOOHOO! I just printed one thing out of FH and the fonts work. Thanks, Joe and DCS. I love you guys! :kiss:

Be careful what you unload from the system font folders. There are required fonts in there that if you remove them your Mac won't run. There is a list around here somewhere. Probably in the "Fonts" category.
I remember seeing that somewhere. I'll do a search for it. Thanks!

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on January 15, 2009, 04:16:31 PM

Don't move Geeza and Geeza Pro! You'll never use them, but the Macaroo likes them there. It's probably also connected to 2012 Winter Solstice.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

chris_r

here is a list of fonts that need to be permanently in your system fonts folder:

courier
geeza pro bold
geeza pro
geneva
helvetica
keyboard
lastresort
lucidagrande
monaco

empty out the library-fonts folder completely, and user-library-fonts folder.  i then made a alias of my user-library-fonts folder, and drag and drop fonts for each job i need, and simply drag them out and secure empty trash them when done.  then drag in fonts for the next job.  once we started doing that, that was the end of all our font issues.  over 5 years, no 3rd party font software, no issues whatsoever.  we do clean out font caches with onyx as mentioned earlier.

Chelle

Thank you, Gnubler, Joe, Chris, DSC and everyone else who posted. I am at home right now relaxing with wine. (Big shock.) I will continue my font fest tomorrow. :grin: