CS4 generated PDFs not viewing fonts correctly

Started by born2print, April 02, 2009, 03:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2print

I'm noticing this on a few jobs the last few weeks:

We prep clients native files in InDD CS4 and export Press PDF (slightly modified PDF1.7) same as we did for CS3 without issue,
the result is a PDF with font/fonts viewing garbled (weird boxes and the like)

View in Acrobat7,8,9 = bad
View in Prinergy = bad
View from InSite = bad

However, all RIPs are OK:
All proofing devices = OK
Platers = OK
VirtualProofs from Prinergy = OK

I've been looking into it and coming up empty so far, anyone else having these issues or have any ideas what may be going on?
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

DigitalCrapShoveler

Not specifically this yet, but I have had problems with type dropping off when flattening or sending transparent to the RIP. Open in CS3, no problemo. I hate shit like this... welcome to Prepress 101. :banghead:
Member #285 - Civilian

born2print

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on April 02, 2009, 03:23:56 PMNot specifically this yet, but I have had problems with type dropping off when flattening or sending transparent to the RIP. Open in CS3, no problemo. I hate shit like this... welcome to Prepress 101. :banghead:
Yeah, CS3 was awesome, and I liked CS4 until a few weeks ago.
"If it ain't broke, change a bunch of shit and sell a bloated upgrade with bugs in it."  <-- Adobe's new mantra :tongue:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

To be completely unhelpful, no I have not seen this. But I've seen more bad shit from CS3 PDFs than I have from any version before or after though. I absolutely hated CS3 in every aspect.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Get ready for a new found hate... CS4 seems like the CS3 you are always complaining about. I have not 1 issue with CS3. Not ONE! CS4... I am dazzled and delighted daily about the shit it's jacking up. Take it in CS3... no mas problemo.

I think this emoticon is the absolute most appropriate for us, under the Kona of course.... -----> :banghead:
Member #285 - Civilian

born2print

Yeh guys, this is a tough one, a logical approach has been useless so far =  :banghead:

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

beermonster

ummyeah i like cs3 - mostly - acro 8 no.

i have seen some pdf's not display correctly but not often - is the font a dfont? is it a common font to your issues mate?
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

tapdn

Do the fonts preview wrong at different magnifications- if you zoom in to they change. I have seen this happen and they print correctly???
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Captain_Type

If you check/uncheck the "Use local fonts" preference under "Display" in preferences, do the fonts change? Maybe your RIP has the font, but the prefs for Acrobat don't allow local fonts to be used (the proper setting, BTW).

Is there some commonality in the fonts that don't work, i.e. same foundry, all Truetype, all subset (or more importantly, not embedded at all)?

The boxes indicate a non-embedded glyph/character.

Try embedding the fonts instead of subsetting, or vice versa, and see if that helps. Maybe your doc contains a pdf with different versions of the same font as the text used in the doc.

Or maybe the font(s) in question need to be loaded into CS4's font folder (the Fonts folder inside the CS4 application's folder).

All this talk of CS4 dropping type is making me nervous (we haven't upgraded to it yet).
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

born2print

Thanks gang, I haven't confirmed if it is certain font(s) or foundries but that's worth a look,
The boxes are a clue, but it's not the only (wrong) character
I'll play with it some more... appreciate the help!
 :cool:

ps: tap, zoom in/out has no effect.
pps: If I take the exact same files and export PDF from CS3 the issue goes away.

Captain_Type

For the record, I was unable to duplicate this problem in Print Artist Platinum.  :cheesy:
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

gnubler

Quote from: Captain_Type on April 03, 2009, 10:04:38 AMFor the record, I was unable to duplicate this problem in Print Artist Platinum.  :cheesy:

That's what I'm talking about! You are all fools. I've been using PAP now for almost a year - NO PROBLEMS. Add some beveled edges, make a JPG = problem solved.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

born2print