I got some raffle tickets that need numbering

Started by Lumpy, March 13, 2009, 06:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Hey everybody,
I got a raffle ticket job that I would like to do the numbering for them in Indesign if possible. Any thoughts?
Thanks alot.
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

Stiv

David

follow that with #2...

then read the manual...

LOL

sorry Lumpy , no help, but Stiv was very funneh!

here's a link to a tute that may help you:

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2008/01/03/indesign-autonumbering.html

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Lumpy

beermonster

haa yeah - sensible answers can and often DO arrive, but usually one or two posts down :laugh:

damm funneh tho :tongue:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

gnubler

It can be done. I've done this with numbering as well as with a mailing list. Text frame on a master page, import a spreadsheet or database into the frame. There is a key command that will automatically generate pages until the end of the imported file - forget what it is. I made my text box only big enough to fit three lines of text so there was no overflow and each address showed up on its own page - I did this to imprint addresses on color newsletter shells we sent out.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Skryber

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

agent_orange

if you need help with it, send me a pm. we number pads, tix, etc. like this all the time. awesome not having to use the numbering machine for those jobs and it puts a few extra bucks in our pocket. once you see how to do it, it's pretty easy. let me know...

Skryber

Yeah, It depends on how you're doing it. If your ticket is on it's own page. Just do it in Indy. Create a master with the ticket artwork and set the page numbers. We do White Sox parking tickets. We print on the press, then perf on the little press, then cut to where it's 4 up on a sheet, and set up our numbers in Excel in 4 columns to use in DataMerge in Quack. Then we just run those 11 x 17 sheets through the Kyocera to number.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Lumpy

I set it up as a pdf, 3-up 8.5X11. It numbers in 2 spots (as marked).
I guess I'l set up a 2 column .xls for the numbers. Thanks.

agent_orange

nope, you need three columns. one for each ticket. you also need to save the spreadsheet as .csv

Lumpy

gnubler

Just one column in the spreadsheet, no? Just import the same file twice.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

agent_orange

i'm by no means an expert but i think that if you were to import the same one column sheet three times, you'd get the same numbers on each position. Ex. page one has numbers 1, 1, 1, page 2 is 2, 2, 2. you want one sheet, three columns, column one starts at 1, column 2 starts at 101, column three is 201 (or whatever). after data merge you get page one with numbers 1,101, 201, page 2 is 2, 102, 202, etc.

don't forget to add an extra row at the top with something to describe each column "a,b,c", "column 1, column 2, column 3", whatever. i think if you do it in cs3 or earlier indy will use your first row as indicators. i think it might not be necessary in cs4 but i'm not sure. also, i've had weird problems with data merge in cs4 so i went back to cs3 exclusively for it.

*edit* sorry, i had that part backwards and then just took it out entirely  :banghead:

we3dumys

I actually do this pretty regularly as well, but I do it differently- since I run this stuff on a digital press a 200 page PDF is not a big deal

I create a layout in ID for the ticket, output to PDF with marks.

Excel to create a Tab or comma delimited txt file with all of the numbers I need (i.e A1-A19, B1-B28 etc)

Create a new ID layout for the final press sheet size. Use the Automation->Data Merge Panel to link up the txt file. Put my numbers where I want them-format them. Group the PDF and the numbers.

Then in the drop down on the Data Merge Panel choose Create Merged Doc. This will let you put several up on a page.

This only works if you don't care about numbering being in order when you are done, because it won't do cut and stack- only across or down on the page. But this way you can use one column to number and put multiple instances up, and let ID worry about imposing it for you.