Master pages in Illustrator

Started by DigiCorn, July 01, 2010, 08:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I am editing a file I just received for some business cards. Client put them 10-up on a 8.5 x 12.14 inch artboard. I want to make them on 10 3.5 x 2 pages, but since they are all common except for the names, I want to set up a master page like you could in InDesign or Freehand. I've never done it in Illustrator before; on CS3 I would make a master layer and then create each name imprint as a new layer, but with the multi page option in CS4 I thought I'd give it a whirl and use a multi-page pdf instead of saving 10 .eps files. Can you make a master page in Illy CS4?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

not to be flip...

but...

ewwww

why not do it in Indesign?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

all fonts are created as outlines so i'd have to retypeset everything. if i were to export as .eps to place in ID, i'd be doing the very thing i'm trying to avoid - exporting 10 .eps files, or i'd have to export one .eps and then try to align it properly when placing in ID 10 times.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Chilbear

Actually you would export one eps or ai file into INDD  then use the page offset to "move" the image around. It is a math thing for the first and second then the pattern repeats for pp 3 and onward.

almaink

I know Illy now has multiple art-boards but I'd just select each card and copy paste it into a new Illy file and save as a PDF.
You could If you like make a master layer and use it but why bother?
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

DigiCorn

Quote from: Chilbear on July 01, 2010, 09:04:51 AMActually you would export one eps or ai file into INDD  then use the page offset to "move" the image around. It is a math thing for the first and second then the pattern repeats for pp 3 and onward.
IF the client sets the cards up by placing in similar horizontal and vertical positions. Not so in this case. They are scattered pretty randomly.
Quote from: almaink on July 01, 2010, 09:35:37 AMI know Illy now has multiple art-boards but I'd just select each card and copy paste it into a new Illy file and save as a PDF.
You could If you like make a master layer and use it but why bother?
Without a master page, the multi layer thing is pretty much the best option on this file. We have approved AA charges to re-typeset in ID so that in the future, they can send us the names and we'll typeset here instead of trying to fix their files each time.

So our solution is to charge the client to set it up properly, and in a sense, they get to pay twice for their artwork since bonehead couldn't lay it out per our specifications (1-up centered on page).
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

I would set one file in AI with the common elements, set my artboard tool to be exact trim, or with bleed, whatever and use it as a master in InDesign.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Me too, 'cuz that's how I'm doing it
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Well there you go. BTW, no master pages in AI. Thank Christ. I don't want desingers getting the idea of AI as a layout app.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I would just re-create the whole thing in Publisher. Think outside the box man.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Best way to get "In The Box." I hate Publisher.
Member #285 - Civilian

youston

Quote from: Joe on July 01, 2010, 10:25:32 AMI would just re-create the whole thing in PAP. Think outside the box man.

Fixed. *Now* you're a prepress professional.

Joe

Quote from: youston on July 01, 2010, 10:44:48 AM
Quote from: Joe on July 01, 2010, 10:25:32 AMI would just re-create the whole thing in PAP. Think outside the box man.

Fixed. *Now* you're a prepress professional.

Yes but we all know PAP is just a fork of Publisher.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

:laugh:

What's so bad about about PubPap? I like 'em.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

I'm on the Beta team for PubPAP.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca