Dud conversion to Grayscale

Started by frailer, January 24, 2011, 05:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

This needs to run in a mono forme. Was supplied Placed in a multi-page PDF. Got in-house guy to send me original, as PitStopping it didn't resolve the 4 col 'type' issue (bottom right vertical textline).
Original shows as a PhSh PDF, so...opened in PhSh>convert to grayscale. But resulting PDF is not grayscale. OK, I then managed to run EAL>Convert to Gray etc.... but having to then crack that image and tweak in PhSh...save back in. Can someone shed light on why I'm not getting a Grayscale PDF after I convert it in PhSh and save back out.
Below for download. I'd rather not post up an image. Thanks.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2ba0xi
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

It's because there are 3 images in there and all are RGB with an ICC color profile attached. Use the Pitstop action to delete the profiles and then use the convert to gray action in Pitstop. Should be good then. Oh, and Photoshop PDFs are almost as evil as fonts.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

Quote from: frailer on January 24, 2011, 05:37:00 PMThis needs to run in a mono forme. Was supplied Placed in a multi-page PDF. Got in-house guy to send me original, as PitStopping it didn't resolve the 4 col 'type' issue (bottom right vertical textline).
Original shows as a PhSh PDF, so...opened in PhSh>convert to grayscale. But resulting PDF is not grayscale. OK, I then managed to run EAL>Convert to Gray etc.... but having to then crack that image and tweak in PhSh...save back in. Can someone shed light on why I'm not getting a Grayscale PDF after I convert it in PhSh and save back out.
Below for download. I'd rather not post up an image. Thanks.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2ba0xi

when I touch up that image pshop opens it as RGB. Converting to Grayscale in pshop seems to wash it out, but it's then it's just K in acrobat after that. Not sure dude.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

jack

Can you not just do a 'convert colours' in Acrobat, appeared to be fine here

frailer

Some ways to skin the cat there. I thought I'd removed the profiles...must have missed something there.  :undecided:

Jack, your dialogue box there would have looked something like this, correct?  And yep, worked here too.   :cheesy:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

jack

Similar, glad it worked, we have the beauty of Prinergy now, so don't have to worry about much these days

Just noticed, hit the 'preserve black' as well

Joe

Quote from: jack on January 24, 2011, 08:16:16 PMSimilar, glad it worked, we have the beauty of Prinergy now, so don't have to worry about much these days

Just noticed, hit the 'preserve black' as well

Same here.  :banana:

frailer

Just on that, we'd similarly be able to push it down the XMF chute, but it's a mixed process/mono job. Would you not have similar issues in Prinergy? I could split the job in 2, but...   :undecided:
Prinergy may well be more flexible in allowing you to crunch to gray inside a mixed job.

Oh, yes, 'Preserve Black' noted....

Joe

Quote from: frailer on January 24, 2011, 08:28:50 PMJust on that, we'd similarly be able to push it down the XMF chute, but it's a mixed process/mono job. Would you not have similar issues in Prinergy? I could split the job in 2, but...   :undecided:
Prinergy may well be more flexible in allowing you to crunch to gray inside a mixed job.

The refined files in Prnergy come out the other side as single page PDFs so I just do a 2nd refine to convert to gray on the pages that should be B&W. I'm really getting spoiled, re: lazy, by Prinergy.

jack

Quote from: Joe on January 24, 2011, 08:36:53 PM
Quote from: frailer on January 24, 2011, 08:28:50 PMJust on that, we'd similarly be able to push it down the XMF chute, but it's a mixed process/mono job. Would you not have similar issues in Prinergy? I could split the job in 2, but...   :undecided:

The refined files in Prnergy come out the other side as single page PDFs so I just do a 2nd refine to convert to gray on the pages that should be B&W. I'm really getting spoiled, re: lazy, by Prinergy.
me too, my brain is slowly shrinking

frailer

I'm now wondering if there's a button on the dash in XMF that I'm not using. Or, it could be that we didn't get that module. 'Normaliser's' ringing a bell. We could, of course, pre-cruch those pages by placing them in a Mono job, then Export and re-use. Woudn't take very long.
Off to try it; then email Fuji guys to see if there's an equivalent to Refine in XMF.

Joe

I think refine and normalize are the same thing. At least we have a Normalize section in our refine process templates, plus color convert, preflight, trapping, etc...